Thread: stopping propranolol and dizziness

stopping propranolol and dizziness

Hi ive suffered with dizziness for about a year and a half
    For a few days i stopped 10mg propranolol (i only take one a day) for anxiety. I took one then yesterday but ive now woke this morning feeling dizzy like the rooms spinning slowly to one side. Do you think this could be why im terrified that the awful dizziness i began with is starting again x

Re: stopping propranolol and dizziness

Quote Originally Posted by daniellek25 View Post
    Hi ive suffered with dizziness for about a year and a half
    For a few days i stopped 10mg propranolol (i only take one a day) for anxiety. I took one then yesterday but ive now woke this morning feeling dizzy like the rooms spinning slowly to one side. Do you think this could be why im terrified that the awful dizziness i began with is starting again x
    Hi there. I don't know if this is the best forum for doctor advice. Hardly anyone can give you a good advice for something what you describe. All I can say is that I find it not right for you to feel like this and you should perhaps consult it with your GP.

Propranolol works on limiting the uptake of adrenalin in your heart and in your lungs... If you take propranolol, your heart will uptake less adrenalin, therefore your heart will beat slightly slower... The same applies for lungs, so if you take propranolol, your lungs will contract little less frequently... This combined can cause that you feel little dizzy, you should be perhaps little slower in whatever you do, but your normal body movement should not be impaired that much at all, let alone spinning as you say. That sounds certainly not right!

Loss of balance could be associated with low blood pressure, however that would not happen if the propranolol is withdrawn. However, if you abruptly withdraw any drug from any system (body), you may get some adverse effects... Particularly with propranolol which has got the property of being able to reach your brain.

See your doctor and if you are not happy with your doctor, or you are just not sure, you have the right for a second opinion of a second doctor on the same thing.... If you do not feel confident with your local surgery, you can try the so-called walk-in centre (no appointment needed), provided there is such centre in your town. In the worst case (something is not right), you have got your full right to ask another surgery in your town to become their patient.

Good luck and let us know how are you doing mate.

Thread Information