Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV show "The house of agoraphobics"

The TV show "The house of agoraphobics"

wow just watched the show and wow the first woman who cant go on moterways wow her husband was so uncarrying to her saying he was going to take there baby away and not even wanting to hear her how she got on cos he was doing some work im sorry for swaring but what an *******

stevie boy

Excellent program. Each person is doing really well. I felt every bit of their panic. It was really wierd.

The agoraphobic fella is fantastic. Hadn't barely left his bedroom in FIVE years - now look....
    I think i want to meet him
    Sarah

Well I have just finished watching and rather painful/panicky viewing it made too at times.

I made myself watch it though as I want to pick up any tips etc and despite crying a few times through it I am glad I did.

I think I identify mostly with the chap in the group, as he seems to have trouble with the idea of what other people might think of him if he panics and that seems to be the basis of mine too.

I really loved it when he and the Prof lay down in the street - what happened, did the world come to an end, did it cause chaos, no it didn't. Great exercise to help get over this bothering what people think!!!

I almost laughed but it was mixed with tears at the single mum running around the supermarket.

Painful viewing, yes - but I will be watching again tommorow night.

I faced my fears tonight albeit in a small way just by watching and not avoiding!! Well done me!!

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Fascinating. I want an appt with the Prof!!!!

Nel xxx

Well done Piglet!

A journey begins with that first step. Corny, but so true, particularly in this case. I've suffered similar feelings. I remember being panic stricken about a boat trip around Poole harbour but when I actually did it I enjoyed it and was waving at passing leisure craft. We fear fear. Everything that leads up to that point is relevant, but in the end we are afraid of fear. That is a natural reaction normally, if your afraid then you know that there is something wrong. Fear is there to protect you. Its when there is nothing to fear that fear turns on you and enslaves you. Shows like this are superb, and the Professor is great, but the real stars are the three agoraphobics and people like them who face their fear head on.

--
    Blue -
    "Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/innerchildhealing/

Yep ,me too.Just watched it!Wow i did identify with Simon,and the lady running round the supermarkrt ,well all of it really!!Well done piglet for watching it,i too got panicky ,palps and weepy too.Butit is a relief to know other folk have watched this so maybe undersrtand more?And also to be able to look at the people on there and say'THAT'S ME!!!'I will be glued to it tommorrow.Love M.R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

As much as I know such people, I thought the programme portrayed the feelings of agoraphobics well. I was totally absorbed in the programme, and actually felt less panicky that I would be chatting online, surfing NMP or watching many other TV programmes in the evening. I guess that's a reaction to realising that a good many additional people were beginning to understand anxiety in general.

Funny thing was, I recognised the area where it was filmed which is about 15 miles away from me. My Dad lives there, and I actually visited him there today and even got a glimpse of the pub where we met for lunch[8D]

Can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

...i am afraid to say i'm very much like the pregnant women. Take one look at what scares me........and run in the other direction!

I wish i had the b*****ks to FACE MY FEAR.
    I am so poo :(

No Sarah you are not poo at all hun - like the prof says we are to try not to knock ourselves (guess we all find that one hard).

I really admire all 3 of them - they are all brave to tackle everything they have tackled.

This has made me want to redouble my efforts - at the moment I can shop ok by night time (not really big shops or by day just yet) and go out for evening walks. I can also go out in the car with other people. I don't have any trouble being alone when I am inside, it's outside that's the prob for me.

What I liked was that each of the people were a little different in how they had arrived at this state and also their starting points were slightly different too - so what one may find not too bad the other would find too much.

I have also been watching Monty Don and his programme about gardening and helping people on drugs and also his openess about his depression has been very refreshing too.

I do watch a lot of comedy though to offset some of these deeper progs - a bit of Peter Kay ususally sets me right again!!

Piglet xx

Oh Piglet you have just described exactly how I felt.

I was at times crying my heart out, especially when she ran round that supermarket like a looney. I have done that so many times. What I admired was how she never left that shop, no matter how bad she felt she stayed. I too laughed when they laid down in the road.

I have at times wanted to stand in the street look up at the sky and shout

" Come on then ya bugger give it your best shot hit me with it " then ran for me life in case someone was actually listening.

I was very distressed during and after watching it but I will be watching it tomorrow night.

As for the husband well I have been there with my husband. I know how she feels and from experience I know that what he is saying will only make her feel more inferior not better.

Excellent but very tear jerking. I rang 13 people today to ask them to watch that, all non agoraphobic, will be interesting to see the feedback from them

Sue

xxx

scknight

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information