Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV show "The house of agoraphobics"

Oh my god - however did they manage even to get to London in the car.
    It is very much about exposure therapy, isn't it. I have had CBT and it has helped me to take baby steps with my agoraphobia and driving phobia. I stayed in my house for about 3 years and there was no way with or without some else could I venture out on to the motorway. Whilst I can now go on the motor way, with my daughter driving, and me reading a book to distract me, I myself am still not ready to drive on the motorway.

There is also no way I could have stayed in a strange house.

Apparently, the man, after this programme is still stuck in his bedroom.

SHEENA

First post here, so, hi to all...

I thought the programme was interesting and at times as others have said very emotive, plus dragged up plenty of memories, etc. where I thought it failed was communicating what agoraphobia is to those who don't have it. This is reflected in many of the reviews, who feel sympathetic but still don't really get it... not that this is an unusual response in the wider world anyhow. So I think it might fail in one of the things I hoped it would do i.e. demystify the condition to non-sufferers.

I also wondered how much the camera being there played a part in the anxiety - i.e. where the guy is walking down the street saying the builders were looking at him & I reckon it had more to do with them being curious about why he was being filmed than anything else. Although as others have said the bit where he lies down in the street was priceless.

Has anyone thought of trying to invite them here to discuss the programme and how they are?

p.s. whether Archana (?) had agoraphobia or not the husband's attitude to his pregnant wife was totally inexcusable and is surely playing a massive part in keeping her where she is at... scary thing is, he is a doctor - gives you hope he'll be sympathetic to anybody who visits him with mental health problems!

Hi Timsum, You are absolutely correct, I feel it failed to explain to non agrophobics what actually happens to someone who experiances a panic attack, It did leave me feeling confused as to if some of the sufferes really had it ? But then thats how people look at me , Like I am being fussy sometimes.

As for that husband, Id love to tell him a few things!

I think the program should give this site a mention at the end of it.

mirryx

I had to watch this programme. It made me feel very uncomfortable in certain parts, and even set my panic off a little. I could most relate to the guy. Even though it's great to see people taking steps to getting rid of this hell, it also scared me a little to see how hard it was for them.

And that womans husband...what a complete idiot.

tonight they are taken on a 13 hour flight to Tokyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will add no more - think it gives false hope to many people. It totally goes against the therapies as the flooding technique doesnt work for many people.

Agoraphobia can be recovered from - but in baby steps for a long term recovery.

........life is for living not just for surviving

I too found the programme very interesting and hope ALL of my friends and family were watching so they can start to realise what life is like for us sufferers!

I really admire them for getting in the car and driving them to London, It would have taken them weeks to get me to do that!

My mother in law watched the programme, she suffered years ago, apparently, and has phoned this morning to inform me that after xmas she will be coming round to take me out, for small trips, whilst this is really thoughtful and kind I do not want to do this, I am better on my own, and I want to try and deal with this in my own way. Now really stuck, dont know what to tell her?

I have decided, I think, not to see the hypnotist any more cos had six sessions and going out is no easier.

I cried lots when the little girl was with her mum supporting her, etc, and then when her auntie took her swimming etc, made me realise the kids do miss out on so much, but if we could take them out we would wouldnt we, my sister thinks I can just pull myself together for the sake of the children - if only if was this easy.

I will be tuned into tonight!

Take care

Lisa px

Hi,

I watched it lastnight even tho i had decided not to (cheers sue lol) I was abit scared to watch because i was worried it would make me panic. Im glad i did because i related to so much of it. I also thought i was the only one who wore sunglasses when i go out even when its not sunny. But i feel more panicky if someone makes eye contact with me. I feel like i have something written on my head or that people can see it in my eyes.

What did make me think is the fact that most of the fear comes from the anticipation of things. beacuse in all reality its never as bad as we think or imagine.

Wow made for hard veiwing but glad i did.

Take care

xxxxxxx

donna

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">tonight they are taken on a 13 hour flight to Tokyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will add no more - think it gives false hope to many people. It totally goes against the therapies as the flooding technique doesnt work for many people.

Agoraphobia can be recovered from - but in baby steps for a long term recovery.

........life is for living not just for surviving

<div align="right">Originally posted by darkangel - 20 December 2006 : 12:30:54</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I agree...i've tried to push myself beyond what i thought was right for me at the time..and it just set me back even further. The only way i've ever got better was taking baby steps when i felt was right.

I wasn't going to watch this but at the very last minute decided to give it a go. I don't suffer from agrophobia but thought it would be interesting to hear and see what it meant to people. Crickey.... an eyeopener about me in so many ways!!!

I agree with the observations posted, in particular I'm joining the queue to have a quiet word with Archana's husband.

What I found scary was how close I am towards agrophobia and I relate big time to Simon and his fears about what other people think. That has been a big stopper for me over the years and still is in many ways.

The sensory overload that was experienced in the supermarket is another situation that I can associate myself with at times.

Obviously the programme is a snapshot of the work that has been done with the intrepid 3some, none the less it was fascinating. I did feel though, at times, the therapists were asking leading questions of their charges.

It will be interesting to see how tonights programme pans out, recorder already set!!

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

I was so excited about watching it last night, went round to my bf's so hopefully he would get a better understanding of it.. started watching it, i was having a panic attack at this point, because i felt very nervous watching other people and i felt like i was in there situation, anyway, after 15 minutes of watching it, my bf didnt seem interested at all, he says he wants to help, but when it comes to it, he just doesnt seem to care, he said he wanted to go to sleep, so i went home, after slamming his door and in tears by this point, we had a huge argument on the phone when i got back home, we have never argued like that, he said i had a tentrem and i should 'grow up' etc etc.. i was still watching the programme at this point, still in an even bigger panic attacks, still in hysterics, had noone to turn to because my bf had put the phone down.. it was just one big disaster, i waited since november to watch one programme with him and felt hugely let down.. but as always, i was the one saying sorry and he thinks he is right... Men!
    Watching the second part tonight because i know i need to watch it, even if it does upset me.. but watching it alone thankfully.
    C xx

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information