Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV show "The house of agoraphobics"

Really enjoyed the programme, I felt for all 3 of them it is hard enough to face your fears in your own surroundings, let alone doing it in strange places with camera's etc. I guess having the support network there really did help them though.

Was totally suprised at the end though as Simon seemed to have made the most progress through out the programme, so to hear he had stopped going out again was not what I was expecting, guess once the support is gone though some would find it hard to carry on.

My eldest has now decided I am being dragged to town minus sunglasses and being made to lay in the middle of the street, so if I disappear you know they have sectioned me lol.

Would love to know how they are all doing in a few months time.

Take care

Trac xxx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Oh Trac lol.

I must say that when I acheived something.......like going on the bus the other week I was smiling so much I was expecting someone to come and drag me away LOL.

Steph

Paul - thanks so much for taking the time to post this message and explain a few things. Much appreciated by all I am sure.

Trac - I did laugh when he bought the sunglasses and thought of you mate!!

Archana's hubbie was a bit too mean for me lol. Bit harsh!

Simon - wow I was so upset to hear he didn't continue his success.

I wonder what help they got afterwards to continue the support.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Hmm not sure i should have watched this its left me feeling hopeless! it made it look so easy to just hop on a plane to japan when you suffer with panic & anxiety. I think it made anxiety look like a joke the way simon was quite happily shopping in japan then couldn't leave the house when he got home & then there was the pregnant ladies miraculous recovery! Not sure what the purpose of the programme was but i just think instead of educating people who dont suffer with anxiety its just made a mockery of people who do. these are just my personal views & i hope other people found positives in it but its really upset me.
    love
    suzy xx

Firstly, I would like to commend the three people who took part in the show. It was a very tough thing to agree to do, and they deserve medals for it.

I really felt for Simon at the beginning (show 1), when he got into the car, and headed for the House. I guess I related to him more than the other two because he is Male. When he got to the traffic lights, where he would normally not pass and started to panic, I really felt the Anxiety build up inside of me.

My concern with this type of treatment, is that these people have been stuck in their house for so long.... wouldn't it have benefited them to tackle their immediate surroundings, rather than be taken to London (then Tokyo) for Therapy? I honestly believe the hardest part of their journey was the first 10minutes (not just because it was the start, but after 10mins, they were away from what they knew). It's like being removed from a place of problems, and taken elsewhere.

I would like to know more about how they coped when they got back home.

For me, the show was well put together, and deserved more air-time.... perhaps if that was the case, more of our questions would have been answered!

------------------------------------------------
    Is There Really Gravity, Or Does Earth Just Suck?

Can I also add that these sort of programmes are on a lot and we usually get posts on here so if YOU want to take part then keep an eye on the posts under "Media Interest/Research" and volunteer.

If you don't try it you will never know and don't knock it until you do.

Like I said before it is much easier when you have concentrated therapy and help but we can all get that if we ask for it so if you want it then ask the GP for it!!

Please remember that some people can be cured after years of suffering once their problems are explained and they understand them and this is what the programme portrayed.

Therapy does not cure you - you cure you - they show you how but unless you work at it you won't be cured. Just a thought.

Nicola

Paul thank you so much for taking the time to reply

I definately got something from the programme and feel it tried to cover as much as was able in the 2 hours it had.

My favourite bit of the whole documentary and the most useful part for me was when you and Simon lay on the pavement (I've already mentioned that last night). I'm sure for Simon that must have liberating.

I had a long discussion with another member today or rather I discussed and she listened (sorry Bobsy) and we both felt that the largest part of our anxiety/panic lies in our fear of embaressing both ourselves and our families in public. Strangely we both felt that this wouldn't bother us in a new or strange town where no one knows us - it's only infront of people we are likely to see again. Not at all sure why this should be.

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thank you Paul for answering my questions , i have to be honest and say i am hugely surprised , i felt that maybe the show was edited in a way to make your approach look compltely succesfull and to make agrophobia and anxiety look like easy things to cure . i completly recognised aspects of myself in simon and sue , like simon i have had times when i have been succesfully able to go out unfortunatly it never lasts and i always wind back where i started .

bb natty

This programme has really helped and encouraged me!
    I am agoraphobic, but I am not housebound. I suffer extreme anxiety and panic attacks when I go out and this programme has shown me that I am not alone. It has also shown me that I am doing the right thing by challenging and facing my fears. I had a panic attack in a shop today, but I did not leave, I took deep breaths and after completeing my transaction walked out with my head held high.
    I always apologise to people when I have an attack because I feel embarrassed and ashamed, but I learnt that having a panic attack does not make me a failure. It does not matter if I have panic attacks, what matters is that I have a life.
    Thank you for making this programme and highlighting the challenges faced by agoraphobics.

Natty - TV is designed to do that I am afraid.

When I did my TV programme it looked like I just got in a taxi and on a train and on a bus after one meeting with a therapist!

It didn't work like that but they never show the "behind the scenes stuff".

Trust me it was blooming hard work and lots of tears but I did it like the people on this show and we all can when we want to and put our minds to it.

Nothing can beat you when you have a mission in life trust me

Nicola

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information