Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV show "The house of agoraphobics"

I think you are right about Simon Ray. He was the only one who (sounds awful) didn't have a reason to get better.....that sounds awful I know....but what I mean is the other two had children to consider, I know if I didn't have my son it I would probably be a lot worse than I am at the moment. It gave me the push I needed my son is only 6 and he has no idea I have problems and I don't want him growing up thinking that I do so I make myself do things for him.

Of course he wants to get better for himself and we all do really but it really does help if there is something there to give you that little "kick up the bum[:I]" pardon me french lol.

Hope I haven't annoyed anyone by saying this, there i go apologising again!!

Steph

Dear all
    had done another lengthy response this am before my first coffee, then lost it all when I was timed out. silly me, will do long one offline next time
    Further update
    Su is taking her daughter to school, and has continued to improve
    Archana is also continuing to improve.
    It all rather emphasises the importance of having somewhere to go and someone to do it for (and support you when you do)
    will post longer soon to clarify some of the points raised.
    There is a phone in on CBT this pm 3pm bbc radio 4 on CBT
    with best wishes and in haste
    Paul S

There you go thats what I was trying to say lol wish I was clever![)][:I]

Steph

PS I'm getting hundreds of emails to me. I really cant' respond to them individually, I'm really really sorry about that. We have posted stuff on our website to help people as much as possible
    see here

http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/iopweb/even...nal/?event=434

and follow links to

http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/iopweb/blob...fact_sheet.ppt

hope that helps

PaulS

Thanks Paul for responding to questions on this thread, it is much appreciated by everyone. I was amazed that Simon who appeared to have made most progress on the programme has regressed so much. I do believe however that it is easy for that to happen. You need to keep going with the exposure which can involve much energy and hard work. As you said Paul it is important to have someone in your life to motivate and support you.

Thanks for an interesting programme.

I will tune into radio 4 this afternoon.

chillx

Ray brought up that important point about Simon, Paul mentioned it too - motivation!!

We all need reasons and motivations to achieve our goals, so I totally agree that it was more likely in Simon's present circumstances that it would be hard to keep it up.

Paul - if you ever keep in touch with Simon would you tell him about this site and how well so many of us identified with him and would like to encourage him with his progress. Infact that goes for the girls aswell. They would get a very warm welcome I can tell you!

I am so glad this subject has been aired and I would love for you to do further documentaries in the future (if this is ever possible) - perhaps a slightly longer series and/or covering the day to day things we can do to help ourselves (Japan not being an option financially or otherwise for most of us[:I]).

Very best wishes.

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Well, I feel a bit daft now! I posted about this show on the panic attack forum, not realising there was a whole pile of stuff on this one. Thought it was a bit strange that it had not been mentioned.

I found the show very moving. I was really rooting for all of them to succeed. Like other posters, I suppose I did feel a little that the show didn't get over the fact that people may live in a state of constant anxiety - it's not just when you are outside. I suppose I was also hoping that there would be a miraculous recovery for them all - even though I know from experience that these things take a long time. It's good to hear that the girls' are still improving. Simon did so well, I really hope he can seel further treatment.

I think the trip to Japan was a gamble but possibly Simon needs to do what I did - and I am not saying this would work for everybody by a long shot - but I broke a lot of the cycles of agoraphobia that I had by totally destroying my safety zone: i.e. moving to a different country, studying (which I always hated), being 12,000 miles away from my support network, etc. - it was hell nearly every step but 3 years later and it has made me realise I can beat this condition and do virtually everything (even if acutely distressing at times) that has suffocated me for years - still not going to the hairdressers but being an old punk guess that doesn't matter too much.

The reason I am saying perhaps it is what Simon needs is (and again this is only from the brief glimpse we got in the programme) he seemed to flourish when in Japan (and also when looking after the others) he was free of some of the expectations and internalised pressures he must feel from his family (even if they're very supportive - something I know I have felt).

Sometimes it is "baby steps" or just surviving each day or even minute but other times I have forced myself to make massive breaks and try and start again and I reckon these have worked in a lot more profound way... of course I am just saying this is my experience and not a prescription for all.

I feel very honoured to have the Professor answering our questions personally, thank you for doing so. I have 3 questions I'd like to ask:

1) Were any of the 3 on meds? This might be a question you are unable to answer, if so, in your view can it be done without meds? I take the odd valium but don't take anti-d's of any sort (and would rather avoid them).
    2) I noticed that the out of the 3 the pregnant lady seemed to find the outings more distressing than the others. Do you think that is why she made such good progress? My CB therapist told me I had to experience some level of distress, it appeared ot me she was finding it more distressing than the others yet she seemed to have gained more than Simon after the 2 weeks.
    3) When can I come and see you (lol)!!??

Nel xxx

Lol Nel - we are all queuing up!!!

Piglet x

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information