Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Speakmans

Re: The Speakmans

Heh, just found this thread.

I remember watching an episode with an agoraphobic woman. A lot of what the Speakmans did was perfectly sensible and obvious - nothing that any other qualified therapist wouldn't do. They talked through the trigger (which she happened to have) of her phobia, they explained the nature of her fear, the fact there was no real danger to a panic attack, etc. They did a bit of mild exposure therapy: a walk around the corner. Then they did some more difficult exposure therapy - a drive to a local church for a relative's christening. On the way, the woman starting panicking in the car and asked to go home. So they stopped the car and talked to her and waited... and lo and behold, once the initial panic had passed and they had waited long enough for the adrenaline to subside, she managed to get to the church after all! Well, duh...

No magic here. Nothing special. Nothing to convince me of their 'amazing' abilities.

At the end of the program, the update told viewers that the woman was now 'enjoying walks around the park with friends and family'. Basically, they had given her enough information and exposure therapy to be enable her to attend a local park with people she feels safe with. How's that for a 'miracle cure'! That's what they're famous for, right?

The thing that made them repellent was how, in order to motivate her to take on the exposure therapy, they made her feel worthless and completely to blame for her problem. They told her that she was throwing away her relationships with friends and family, and to illustrate the point, made her physically throw photos of friends and family in the bin. Some might call this 'tough love'. I call it enormously unethical.

Seriously, imagine Agoraphobic Pam enduring a life with Doesn't Understand Dave, who keeps telling her she needs to toughen up and pull herself together. She explains to him many times that her disorder is not as simple as that, and after some months of this he comes to accept that this approach isn't helping her in the slightest. But then Dave sees the Speakmans on the tellybox - oho! His bullying approach was valid after all! He redoubles his efforts, because it's clearly a sensible way to motivate Pam! Never again can Pam convince him that being tough with her doesn't work: it was good enough for the miracle-worker Speakmans, after all! Gee, thanks, Speakmans, for making Pam's life, and hundreds like her, that little bit more miserable.

So... widely practised and utterly obvious treatment coupled with unethically forcing this woman to agree to face her fears by convincing her what a terrible person she would be for not facing them. And let's not forget the self-aggrandising 'miracle-workers' nonsense!

Yeah, not a fan.

I think tough love is good, but as you said not the way they did it. Sometimes we're aware that we can affect others negatively but we shouldn't feel worthless about it. That is so very wrong.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Just another clear reason why we need that Bill of Parliament but the Labour MP keeps raising it and dropping it.

I'm sure it would be classed as unethical but since these people are not even qualified to join any reputable self regulatory association they are only accountable to themselves.

The media love it because it sells to the uneducated.

Hi,
    I'd like to say that Nik and Eva worked helped me immensely, so much so that I went on to train with them, they have been a huge inspiration to me. They are genuine very humble people and very successful indeed. What they do works, I know because I do it too. It is totally possible for someone to overcome fear very rapidly indeed, and I am living proof years on. They are two of the kindest people that you will ever meet, with exceptional skills. I know that their work is a massive benefit to many, and they really do 100 percent get these awesome results. I know many who have worked with them and have had too.
    With the right tools, it's possible to create a huge shift in a persons thinking, in a short time.
    Mariah x

I've seen them many times on TV and they do come across as a very humble, natural couple who have a genuine desire to spread their message to the general public without wanting attention themselves. I think it's great that they keep themselves in the background whilst their clients are undergoing treatment-I think this adds to their appeal.

The Right Tools are so important, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like to say that Nik and Eva worked helped me immensely, so much so that I went on to train with them, they have been a huge inspiration to me. They are genuine very humble people and very successful indeed. What they do works, I know because I do it too. It is totally possible for someone to overcome fear very rapidly indeed, and I am living proof years on. They are two of the kindest people that you will ever meet, with exceptional skills. I know that their work is a massive benefit to many, and they really do 100 percent get these awesome results. I know many who have worked with them and have had too.
    With the right tools, it's possible to create a huge shift in a persons thinking, in a short time.
    Mariah x
    I wouldn't know about them but I do know the exact same things can be seen about "gurus" across places like Amazon. Many of those single reviewers are dubious but I guess at least you mentioned your commercial interest.

I noticed they really work with phobias, other than PTSD and chocolate addiction, and see Cowellophobia is on there I think a lot of us scream & shout when we see that idiot on the TV!
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 19-08-15 at 06:33.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've seen them many times on TV and they do come across as a very humble, natural couple who have a genuine desire to spread their message to the general public without wanting attention themselves. I think it's great that they keep themselves in the background whilst their clients are undergoing treatment-I think this adds to their appeal.

The Right Tools are so important, aren't they?
    You get them on BBBOTS too, as long as Rylan's teeth aren't dazzling the cameras.

They are in fact ubiquitous ........as is Rylan

With the advent of the new Celeb Big Brother series Les Speakmans are going to be highly in demand for their humble opinions on the new housemates. I think it's the UK v US this time around.

pulisa

it's worse. Peter Andre has got into Strictly come Dancing

I know. Cue the magazine deals, Katie Price allegations and new perfume offers...Rylan will be next year?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information