Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Speakmans

Re: The Speakmans

One client of theirs said she had to sign a gag order in which she agreed not to discuss treatment with anyone else.

The 'success' tv people I questioned about what they thought was the defining moment which turned their phobias around, suddenly fell silent. I can't make out if this is part of the gag order, but most likely. All these ex-clients ever say is how great the Speakmans are - well they would, considering they saved themselves £6000 on an all day session with them. I'm not sure if lunch is included

People here have really hit the nail on the head when they say it makes out mental health problems to be trivial, easily cured - instantly curable - and are, by and large, simple attention seeking by sufferers.

Interestingly, not ALL the tv guests have given The Speakmans testimonials. Those are the people who need to speak out the most, but their gag order will put pay to that.

There is a rumour that The Speakmans are to do I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. I actually hope they do as the Press may start to do some digging "in the Public interest"

Someone mentioned these programs to me...... I haven't see them but they do sound "too good to be true"..... I have one recorded as it relates to a phobia of mine, but now I am wondering if its even worth bothering to watch it..??

Quote Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
    Someone mentioned these programs to me...... I haven't see them but they do sound "too good to be true"..... I have one recorded as it relates to a phobia of mine, but now I am wondering if its even worth bothering to watch it..??
    Tessar you must whatch it see what you think I can only speak as I find love xx

Quote Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
    By all means view it. But don't be surprised if you find your emotions rising: not necessarily anger, but I do remember many years ago watching Paul McKenna tackling agoraphobia and sitting crying my eyes out at how so very easy he made it look to be cured and yet there I was, at the time, unable to even leave my bedroom.

I'd say give it a go, but have the remote to hand to stop or pause as you need.

Something I find strange is that they use Schema Conditioning Therapy which concentrates on determing what basic emotional needs are not being met, change coping styles which you believe to be positive but only serve to reinforce the negative schema, fight overly critical schemas & modes (the all or nothing thinking in CBT), etc.

None of that would translate into some of the things you described, which appear to be more effective ways to undermine self esteem.

I find this quite shocking, but it doesn't surprise me that the media are happy to give them airtime...look at Jeremy Kyle!

The sooner that Bill of Parliament comes in to regulate this sector, the better.

The fact that you have to sign a gagging clause should ring alarm bells. I would question how this can be adhered to anyway e.g. receiving later therapy and having to detail your prior experiences.

I haven't seem this, so I did a quick wiki which revealed there is a list of celebrity clients which also sets some alarm bells ringing because it reminds me of similar companies that I've heard about.

I had some therapy last year where the therapist identified my schemas and we worked on techniques I could use to help me. All of this was done over the course of months and slowly I did begin to feel better but this programme really makes me so mad the way they portray curing problems in one hour!!
    People with severe issues can't be just talked out of it!!

If these 2 are so great then why don't they train up some people in their miracle therapy and then send them out to more cure people?... OH yes it's because they are 2 frauds. The Speakmans have no background in psychology, psychoanalysis, therapy or even counselling. They have 2 diplomas (in something they'd prefer not to disclose)

Yesterday we were subjected to seeing them belittling a woman who had a fear of veins and couldn't look at her hands, feet or legs yet she sat there with brightly painted nails on both her hands and toes!! I was asking myself "so how did she do that yet she's claiming she can't look at her hands and feet?"

What these programmes are doing is making light of mental health disorders and my fear is that those with genuine life destroying conditions start getting viewed in the same way.
    Last edited by Helen19; 07-08-14 at 12:07. Reason: spelling

It's amazing how the severe anxiety gets better once the clients are in front of a TV camera with their problems being broadcast to the nation...
    I suspect that a lot of these people are professional actors who present with a wide gamut of phobias/conditions in order to "entertain" the viewing public? Then of course the magnificent Speakmans wave a magic wand and hey presto, everything is hunky dory!

I just hope that they are not benefitting even more financially and gaining new clients a result of these "shows"?

My thoughts too pulisa, the woman who had social anxiety said she felt panic and anxiety around people.....yet sat there being interviewed with presumably lots of people around and didn't get upset? That was even before she saw the ugly mugs!

Well spotted Helen. The only thing I can think of is that someone did them for her, however I would question why a woman who can't look at her hands would feel the need to have painted nails even for reasons of vanity. It doesn't seem right to me.

I've heard a lot of these types of claims in other therapies offered outside of evidence based forms and when you look closer, the cracks start to appear and you notice the contradictions.

I feel this is irresponsible broadcasting, although I have to say I can only go on what I read here. Perhaps people should be complaining to the regulator? There have been similar questions raised over other programmes such as the OCD ones on channel 4.

A diploma from a university would not allow them to join the BACP, BPS, etc.

The Bill of Parliament is to make this industry become regulated by the same body that regulates other medical professionals such as paramedics. Whilst I'm not sure this Bill goes far enough, we need to see the Ethical Framework that this association will draft to cover therapy & counselling. It will certainly introduce a regulatory complaints process.

There was an article in the Sunday Star that Kerry Katona has checked her bloke in to these guys and given she was pictured with the Delorean, it would suggest she will be appeared on TV with them.

I think that confirms my suspicions of the market for these guys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information