Thread: travel anxiety/panic. need advice.

travel anxiety/panic. need advice.

Today I booked a trip to the Dominican Republic for the end of this month with my friends. I know that this should be a very exciting time for me, but unfortunately I have been inconsolable for the past 5 hours. I'm terrified to fly and I have only been on a plane once before. I hated it the first time, but that was also before a very serious panic attack on the train that caused me to admit myself to the hospital under the assumption that I was having a stroke. I now feel a very urgent need to escape whenever I am in a space that I have no control over (trains, elevators, crowded places)

I'm terrified that I will have a panic attack on the plane ride to the DR, or that the plane will crash and I'll have to die while being very scared, or that something will happen at home and I will not be able to get there fast enough.

I am 25 years old and I feel that anxiety is truly ruining my life. I feel hopeless all the time and like nothing can stop this. I've tried many different ways to alleviate the symptoms but I think I convinced myself that nothing will work.

Has anyone hit this point? Anyone have advice on what to do? I don't have a therapist, do I need one? Should I be considering medication?

Re: travel anxiety/panic. need advice.

i can totally relate to how you feel i am 25 too and you can see from my other post a similar thing happened to me. i got to the airport to fly to canada and couldnt do it. ive flown many times before and been ok but its the been away from my 'safe' place of home that worries mem i definently think you should see your doctor about having some anxiety medication and see how it affects you.

Thread Information