Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Health Anxiety

Heart Health Anxiety

Hi all, I am new to the forum - my therapist recommended I join a forum to hopefully reassure me that I am not alone in how I am feeling so here I am! I have suffered with Health Anxiety for a number of years ranging from being convienced I have a brain tumour due to headaches to bowel cancer but since October 13 I have been hit hard with being convienced I have heart issues and feeling like Im going to have a heart attack. It all started when my heartrate raced one afternoon to 126 and I ended up taking myself to A & E I had an ECG and blood gases taken and was told that it was anxiety related. Since then I check my pulse up to 50 times per day and any pain or ache in my chest I convience myself I will have a heart attack. I have just had a 5 day event monitor which has come back fine apart from 1 eptopic beat which dr said is normal and some occassions of fast heartrate which he said could be down to the panic/anxiety. I find myself waking in the middle of the night with a racing heart which ends up with my physically shaking and taking my pulse constantly for hrs! I have a heaviness feeling almost constantly in my chest. Does anyone else suffer the same? Is it possible to have these type of symptoms 24/7? Thanks for reading

Re: Heart Health Anxiety

Hey, I just joined up too and literally made a topic that is almost identical to yours! I can assure you that you are not alone, after I delved into the wonderful world of having a panic disorder I become obsessively worried about the health of my heart (panic attacks can mimic almost every symptom of an actual heart attack). I have raced myself to the emergency department of my hospital several times, only to be told everything is fine along with even seeing a cardiologist, whom also told me everything is fine.

I too measure my pulse constantly, get a racing heart rate, feel shaky and I even experience the heaviness feeling in my chest (right now I too am paranoid about it as my first thread will indicate). I can 100% assure you that you are not alone, and I have found that my symptoms can last for a very long time.

Thanks for replying PingDing - its awful isn't it I just wish I could accept that this is all anxiety I feel positive when i am symptom free but as soon as I get a twitch/pain/heart thud I go into panic mode! Its good to hear that Im not alone although Im sorry you are going through the same.

Cardiophobia I call it. Fear of issues within the heart.

A few things... HR of 126 is NOT that elevated. While at sitting, the docs like to see you below 100bpm. When working out, I hit HRs of 175+. In my panic, I can easily hit 126. This includes being woken out of a sleep with a high HR.

It truly is super common for those of us with anxiety and panic to have this very same thing. Been there, done that!

You got checked out which is great, find relief and reassurance in that you DO NOT have something going on, and your heart is fine.
    Last edited by Dolphin8808; 05-08-14 at 14:06.

Thanks Dolphin8808 I need to get it into my head that all is ok I dont want to go down the route of more tests it seems worse in the night too when it happens I guess thats pretty much the norm for everyone things are always worse in the dark. I only got my results yesterday and yet Im still panicking about it silly I know!

I know, its hard to accept it isn't it? I get that. I was in the same boat for so long. Finally I trusted my heart again.

Oh It is very hard to accept that nothing is wrong. Even after visiting the cardiologist and doing extensive testing only to pass them with flying colours I still find myself worrying about my heart.

Thanks for posting this by the way Mrspanic, It has helped calm down a lot. Just knowing there are others going through the same things as me helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin8808 View Post
    I know, its hard to accept it isn't it? I get that. I was in the same boat for so long. Finally I trusted my heart again.
    This is what I need to do - when I take my pulse myself I take it on my neck and its normally up to max of 100 when Im panicking sometimes slightly more which I think is high which triggers off more panic I wish I could stop taking my pulse as im sure its fueling it

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PingDing View Post
    Oh It is very hard to accept that nothing is wrong. Even after visiting the cardiologist and doing extensive testing only to pass them with flying colours I still find myself worrying about my heart.

Thanks for posting this by the way Mrspanic, It has helped calm down a lot. Just knowing there are others going through the same things as me helps a lot.

Why do we do it!! I wasn't even reassured for 10 mins after I came out of doctors surgery and all day today it feels like I have a flipping elephant on my chest!

Also bear in mind that Anxiety can cause intercostal myalgia where you are unknowingly tense around the chest for long periods of time if not constantly this cause the muscles in the chest wall to ache and twitch and tiny shooting pains as any muscle would do if not rested properly. I've had chest pains and thought nothing but dread and developed this weak feeling in my chest and convinced my heart was not right. My HA seems to move around my body. I know it's easy for me to say all this I am well aware as I was and sometimes still am concerned about my heart. But 2 years so far suffering and it's still beating

I am in the same boat! I have been suffering badly with anxiety for five years now. All related to panic and fear that there is something wrong with my heart.

I have had three cases of Atrial Fibrillation which have all been resolved; I have had a holter monitor, EKGs, ECGs etc. and I've been assured that my heart is fine. So why now, do I still feel like there is something wrong with me!?

I feel so lethargic today and I have been in a state of panic (although I can hide it) since I came into work seven hours ago. I feel terrible and I am convinced now that I have heart failure. I'm only 30, but I'm overweight (which I know doesn't help) and I just always think the worst. I'm crying quietly whilst typing this asI am just at my wits end.

Anxiety is vile =(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information