Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALS/MS fears triggered by muscle twitching :-(

Re: ALS/MS fears triggered by muscle twitching :-(

I do think it is probably anxiety, I just can't get my head around it. I am spending a lot of time in the house lately and have literally all day to sit and worry.

When my rational side kicks in I also say to myself, when have I read that an anxiety sufferer actually gets diagnosed with the particular illness they are worried about - never! (Not from what I have read on here anyway).

Also, I have no idea how to treat this anxiety, I have been on meds, tried CBT and am now awaiting counselling, but the counselling is for my depression rather than HA. I have very little support from family, my partner has actually been out all day and has not answered his phone once today in 9 hours. I am very anxious and have nobody at all to quell my fears (other than you lot who truly do help, however it would be nice to have a loved one help me for once in my life).

I just keep thinking that if I did have ALS/MS, not including the obvious fears about it, I just feel I would suffer alone and nobody would truly care. My partner and I have always had a difficult relationship I don't believe he could cope with somebody with such a serious and eventually debilitating illness.

Thank you for replying again.

Most of us eventually have this ALS fear. I have mucsle twitching all the time.

Thank you for replying RoseEve.
    When I first came on here last year I saw a lot of posts in regards to these and never even worried about them. I also remember saying to myself at least I have no physical symptoms (other than palpitations which I am accepting of now and rarely get them).
    I cannot believe I now have this fear, I really think it is possible that it is due to me reading that Paroxetine withdrawal is usually horrendous and causes all sorts of neurological symptoms, weakness being one of them. I did get these twitches (in the exact same spot) for a while some months ago and they actually never bothered me. I wish I had that same mindset right now.

My left leg is twitching all over. I am terrified. I cant stop googling. Im so so scared about this :(

Quote Originally Posted by SheilaH921 View Post
    My left leg is twitching all over. I am terrified. I cant stop googling. Im so so scared about this :(
    I no longer fear these twitches. At all. I know it's scary, but they are so common, both for people with anxiety and also for people without.

Did you get tests? Do you still have the twitches?

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

If you get a chance will you read my post and tell me what you think. I really am going crazy :(

No I didn't get tests, I don't think any doctor will send you for tests for regular muscle twitching. I'll have a look at your post but can only comment based on my own experience

If you must Google anything, Google "benign fasciculation syndrome". Totally harmless and very common, and fits all that people describe, whereas MS and ALS are huge leaps of logic that are very rare (especially ALS) and would manifest with very obvious debilitating symptoms before anything that resembles muscle twitches.

I'm speaking as someone whose calf muscles look like worms are in them most of the time, and I've been through these fears. But they're harmless and probably anxiety-related.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information