Thread: Looking in the mirror and not seeing myself

Looking in the mirror and not seeing myself

I think this is depersonalization... Or depression. Something of the sort, a dysphoria perhaps? But sometimes I watch myself on camera or I look in the mirror and I feel like I'm looking at a total stranger.

It's terrifying.

Does anyone else get like this??

Re: Looking in the mirror and not seeing myself

I've felt like this twice in my life; the first time when my mum died and the second when I finished with my ex. For me it's happened through a traumatic time. It's almost as if my body wanted to 'switch off' any emotion. I believe it stems from depression. Do you think there could have been a similar trigger to yours?

i jad this for months when i was younger.im 48 now and suffered this when i was 24.i suffered bad anxiety and deppression at that time and couldnt look in the mirror.it felt like the reflection was someone eles and it was going to atack me or look back at me in some strange way.it took months before i got over it.

This is called dissociation which is a normal defensive response to anxiety. You notice yourself and it feels strange, disconnected or as if you are in a dream? This is a temporary experience which can seem very frightening but is totally normal. Your mind is on alert and as a consequence, your awareness levels are hyper so normal things can seem abnormal, but its is not dangerous or a sign one is going mad or losing it, it is a normal and healthy response to anxiety..please do not give it anymore status than that.

HI I have had this too many times over the years.I didnt know what it was.it occured under emotional times even without any panic

Reading about it has really helped me to realise i wasnt going mad or losing my identity.I still have moments but it happens much less and when it does i try and tell myself it will pass.its just my brain under great distress and trying to protect me by shutting down

it will pass

Thread Information