Thread: Melatonin

Melatonin

Has anyone tried this for help with sleeping?

I'm finding no matter if I sleep my mind dosnt shut off It feels like it's awake regardless, so I awake feeling likes havnt been asleep.

Looking for ways to get a good relaxed nights rest to feel refreshed.

Re: Melatonin

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie28 View Post
    Has anyone tried this for help with sleeping?

I'm finding no matter if I sleep my mind dosnt shut off It feels like it's awake regardless, so I awake feeling likes haven't been asleep.

Looking for ways to get a good relaxed nights rest to feel refreshed.
    I would like to know as well . Getting desperate fall asleep when I go to bed but seem to wake up every night at the same time between 1am and 2am and cannot for the life of me get back to sleep and the anxiety starts setting in so at 2am I find myself doing word search puzzles to distract the anxiety but I am exhausted by 1:00 in the afternoon.

I start my work day at 6:30 so I wake up at 5. Getting desperate to try any over the counter natural sleep aid.

Lewis

I tried a melatonin cream recently for a few weeks. One squeeze on the trigger gave a dose. I put it on my face before bed because it's supposed to be good for your skin too.

It never once made me tired. I'd often take it around 10 but then fanny about and still go to bed past midnight.

Woke at 3am on a work day so went and put some on and thought it'd be a good experiment to see if it knocked me out. It didn't.

However I did wonder on a handful of occasions if a grogginess during the day was associated with me putting it on the night before.

The jury's out. I've stopped it now simply because I didn't find it did much at all either way and don't want to risk anymore daytime grogginess.

We're all different though. I don't have a sleep problem to start off with.
    I'd also heard a lot about melatonin and sleep/skin and just wanted to see if it did anything positive for me that I could use.

Give it a try. I don't think it was that expensive.

I haven't tried Melatonin myself.

Something that is worth considering is how it works. Serotonin converts to Melatonin as part of the daily cycle. So, if you are suffering from anxiety and/or depression which reduces your Serotonin, it will result in a lowering of your Melatonin as well.

So, if Melatonin supplements don't work or you find you end up drowsy the next day, which not try to use your bodies ability to regulate it naturally? Make attempts to increase your Serotinin because this is going to mean you have more of it to be converted to Melatonin.

By boosting your Serotonin, you tackle by ends.

Relaxation and a sleep routine is helpful but I find it takes time to get beyond the worst stages of these disorders to a point where these help with your sleep most.

On another note, Melatonin supplements can have some side effects so they are not for everyone.

Having resorted finally to sleeping pills again I find it much harder to get to sleep and stay asleep with melatonin now, and all the OTC preparations that generally have antihistamines as their active ingredient. When I did take melatonin, I found that the sublingual (dissolved under the tongue) form to be best. There are several strengths and of course the lowest effective dose should be used. It also works best when you take it 1/2 hour or so before you wish to fall asleep, and to get into bed (no fannying about, lol!) It is meant to more or less reset your biological clock naturally, by creating sleepy feelings as darkness comes on/has fallen. It is important to take it at the same time each night and pick a time that allows for a full night's sleep, and waking in time to get started on your day.

It can create some residual drowsiness come morning. A side effect, like Terry says. Again, the idea is to use it only for as long as needed, in the lowest dose that works so this is minimized. At the same time, it is subtle and gentle at bedtime, so you need to work with it, and not against it by having bright lights/tv on or working on the computer. What tends to happen is that it loses effectiveness after two weeks or so, so it is recommended to stop taking it by then. A break will be needed before it will be effective again to lull you off to sleep. Lots of people just use it for a few nights, occasionally when they notice that they are staying up later and later.

I really wish I could get by with just melatonin. Maybe one day!
    Good luck, Ollie28

I use 5 mg melatonin from time to time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You have to take it right when you are going to bed, so if you take it and watch tv for a little it probably won't be as effective.

Thread Information