Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trazodone

Re: Trazodone

Quote Originally Posted by Emphyrio View Post
    I've not taken it myself so I can't comment on this drug personally, but Trazodone has an active metabolite, meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine (mCPP), which can be very 'activating' and thus worsen anxiety. What this means is that while Trazodone itself can put you to sleep, the following day you can feel on edge and agitated. Just something to think about.

Trazodone can interact with a lot of other drugs as well.
    That's a bit disappointing. Well I'll give it a try and see. I think it's pretty much going to be the last thing I try before coming off everything. I feel on edge and agitated on the Mirtazapine at the moment anyway.

Good luck, Teej!
    Did you get a scrip from the gp, or are you waiting for referral?
    Marie

My doctor prescribed them to me. I'm still having a very hard time coming off the mirt and she seemed to think a cross taper onto this would make things a bit easier.

No referral yet until she feels she has exhausted all her options so .

I hope trazadone works for you, it really does have its benefits over some other meds.

I suffer from "agitated" depression and got prescribed trazodone after exhausting every other possibility. I have to say that it did nothing for me but I reckon that dealing with the agitated form of the condition can be the most tricky in terms of meds. For me the lowest possible dose of escitalopram (5mg) has kept things relatively stable whereas high doses of other SSRI/SNRI/moclobemide have been either ineffective of have hospitalised me with absolutely unbearable agitation.

I do hope that the trazodone helps you deal with getting through the day/night. It's certainly worth trying.

Well as Emphyrio suggested the trazodone metabolizing down into meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine absolutely messed me up yesterday in a big way. Thank goodness I recognized quickly. Such a shame because initially the sedative effects worked very well, but within 6 hours I was beginning to exhibit behaviours I had previously associated with taking sertraline and within 14 hours I was having a full blown SSRI level panic attack / anxiety.

Clearly the agonising of my serotonin receptors is not something I can cope with!

I took 15mg of Mirtazapine again last night on its own to start reversing the process so I'm pretty much back where I started. Oh well. Live and learn!

Not sure what the future holds now. Hopefully I can push for a referral and tell someone who understands all this what's happened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information