Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Therapy

Pet Therapy

My beloved pets have helped me so much with my anxiety. I know that not everyone will share my feelings but for me they have helped me more than any medication/ therapist.

Sadly this week I had to say goodbye to 2 of my pets- both elderly who had developed inoperable tumours- so I now only have a beautiful 15 year old black cat and a lovely albino gerbil!

Does anyone else feel as I do?

Re: Pet Therapy

I am sorry to hear about your 2 pets :( I love my 2 cats and yes they are excellent therapy. I was having a bad time a few months ago and was crying in the bedroom. My little Siamese cat ran down stairs and started meowing at my husband until he followed him upstairs to me

I love my two cats - I'm allergic to them and still can't give them up! I'm sorry for your loss :(

I think animals can be an amazing help. On the psychiatric unit that I work on, we have pet therapy once a week and a big yellow lab comes in to spend time with the patients.

I believe that cats are very capable of picking up feelings despite the general opinion being that they are completely self-centred and aloof. My cat always gets anxious if I am doing too much and wants me to sit down....yes, to stroke her but she IS doing me a favour!!

Animals can break down so many barriers. I can really appreciate how beneficial they can be for vulnerable people in institutions, hospitals etc

Oops I didn't realise I had one of the pictures the wrong way round...I hope you don't get neck ache

I completely agree.

My dog will come and spend more time with me if I am struggling. He will lie nover my feet or come for more fusses and fuss me as well.

They do understand we are struggling.

My mother broke her shoulder and he just sat patiently with her until my dad took her to hospital. He then spent a lot of time around her but was very relaxed, not trying to play as he normally would. It was like he was worried.

My dad had an operation and he stopped doing certain things that would remain my dad to move around more to interact with him. Once my dad had recovered a few weeks later, he slowly started to reincorporate the things he he would have normally done that required my dad to move more.

I have read before that pet therapy is used in hospitals & hospices with terminal patients and in child therapy. I've seen a private therapist not too far from my area that uses her labrador in therapy. I think it's a great idea, especially for these groups because they must feel very isolated and in the case of the elderley, quite lonely.

Your cats are stunningly handsome, annie! Absolutely gorgeous and so appealing!

Where would we be without our animals?

Thank you pulisa. Pets really are constant companions.

Im with you all I love my dogs they are my sunshine and the reason I get up xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information