Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Phobia

Spider Phobia

I have had a Spider Phobia all of my Life. This year, I have been facing it and trying to deal with it.
    Well, I have made a break through.
    A few days a go, saw what I call a medium sized Spider in the kitchen.
    Didn't scream, got a empty cereal packet, coaxed it into the packet, walked to the kitchen door and let him free.
    This is a major step for me. My past reaction would be to Scream, jump on a chair and not move for ages until I would think it safe to move. Then not sleep all night for fear of the 'Spider'.
    How did I get over this? I don't quite know really, but I have been thinking that this is one of God's creatures, it is a good creature that deals with nasty insects that can harm us and I don't want to turn in to freaky, pathetic old woman that can't live in her Home because of Spiders.
    They can't harm us and we need them in society, I am actually getting to like them a bit now. In fact they are more scared of us than we are of them.

Re: Spider Phobia

That's brilliant. Took real guts to do that carnation, I am proud of you.

We share a second phobia because I am really bad with spiders. Well, until I watched The Speakmans last week. I need to put this post on "The Speakmans" thread as well... But basically there's this woman they helped... And of course she had a spider phobia. Much worse than mine.

So after watching the programme, instead of going about worrying so much that "one is going to be in the bath, the bedroom, my bike shed, in a cup in the cupboard" I simply said "I am not scared of spiders anymore". I have switched off my worry mode.

Since then I had been waiting (with baited breath) to see if this new attitude would help if I saw a big hairy one. I can just feel my scalp crawling as I type this (that's my ingrained reaction that I am trying to kill off).

So on Sunday there was a big one in the bath. My partner told me about it so I went and looked at it. I tried blowing on it (from a distance) to make it move....fail. It didnt move, but stayed on the plug. So my partner made it move. Meanwhile as it scuttled about (must admit i am not keen on the way they move) I told myself it isn't a frightening thing, it's just a (rather large) insect.

She put it in a sandwich box and I took a closer look, reminding myself it is just an insect and I don't need to hate it or think it's evil, horrible, disgusting. I don't like their legs,cat he body isn't too bad, it's something about those legs and the way they move.

I am not at the stage where I could actually handle one. But i am determined to keep at this. Also if I come across one unexpectedly I half expect I will scream as usual. But it is intriguing to see if I can change "the habit of a lifetime".

Congrats! Wanna teach my wife how to do that? ~lol~ When I hear that blood curdling scream I know exactly what it is!

I sent her this TEST and she failed miserably!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I am TERRIFIED of spiders they have had me in tears and make my skin crawl too, well done for trying to overcome your fear especially as most people (including me unfortunately) would kill the spider and you set it free!
    like Tessar it's the legs with me too although I did get mega freaked out at one a few years ago because it had a milky colour and red body it was disgusting even typing this makes me want to be sick as it was hiding under my tumbler.
    I also had one in my hair the other day I was only cleaning my teeth and never in a million years expected it! Luckily it was a 'daddy long legs' which although humongous their legs are so skinny and barely even noticeable so I shook it off and my partner came to the rescue.
    We also have 3 cats and they usually get to them before us but when they get sight of one it's terrifying as I've seen them throw them in the air before!! Ooooooooh

I had a feeling you might post on this thread.
    I agree, I don't like the legs, but I imagine they are running on stilts. They can't help it and were probably given legs like that so that they can run fast away from us Humans! You are doing great Tessar if you looked at one in a box.
    Someone mentioned to me that the Spider could have come out of the box and run up my arm, and it didn't even occur to me at the time, so I really was brave. (It's not often I blow my own trumpet). What I should have done was tip the box upright; this is safer. My friend uses a glass, but I don't like to see it moving about. A nice big box works for me.
    We have another in the house. We have called him Simon. He is a whopper! Tried to catch him to no avail. I know where he lives and he only comes out from time to time. This is a major task for me, I think I will have to get a giant box for this one!

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Keekee, my Cat runs away!

Fishmanpa, that was horrible. I watched it with one eye closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    [/COLOR]Keekee, my Cat runs away!

My wife grabs our cat and sics him on the spiders ~lol~ He kills them and eats them...

Yeah... I know that test was awful. I couldn't resist though. I have to admit a couple of them even made me squirm a bit and I have no fear of spiders. Bees?... that's another story! ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes. Bees. That's another one of mine. I run like crazy, scream and think if they hit me, I am going to die. My Mum says that they are too busy doing there work to bother with humans, as long as you don't get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    That comment made me laugh.
    Usually if I HAVE to catch one, I take my glasses off so that the offending article isn't so clear and scary.
    Oh yes, I am not scared of them anymore, well. Almost.
    that test was errr hmmmnnnnnn a bit yukky??!!!
    Maybe it's all part of my conditioning.
    Look at the makes bit remind myself yeah they look rather horrid but actually I am not scared of them.

Ahhhh KeeKee I do sympathise,
    Our cat ignores them, totally.
    In fact, usually she runs away because I am going crazy!
    But yeah I am meant not to be phobic anymore.
    See if I say it enough maybe I won't be scared anymore.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

Oh I am just fine with bees, wasps etc. no problem and just as well since my partners highly allergic to them. Mice also, fine with them. I find millipedes rather gross not sure why, snakes no trouble, birds. Oh not so keen on rats but only because they can be disease ridden, and I think this tails are gross,

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Carnation.... Keep on blowing that trumpet... You deserve to.
    Oh except it's getting late so not too much noise please

I did something amazing just now, I dealt with not one, not two...... But THREE spiders!
    One on the ceiling & 2 in the bath. One of the latter was pretty large.
    After watching that episode of "The Speakmans" & decided to start working on my fear, I have been taking opportunities to deal with them.
    At work the other day there was a biiiiig one & my colleague was scared. So I walked though the office announcing "I'm not scared of spiders anymore". I had to use a cup to catch it in.... I warned my colleagues if it goes wring I might scream..... But that didnt happen. I deposited it outside & my colleagues were very impressed. I was impressed too.
    I even managed to leave a huuuuge one in my bike shed (just above my head too).
    And this morning.... Well I know I as half asleep but I reminded myself "they are only insects" & "I am not scared of spiders". I watched the 2 in the bath running about. It was a bit iffy to start with but I didn't react like I usually would.
    After successes like this I am certainly going to keep at it......

That's fantastic Tessar. Now all you need to do is think of your Boss as a Spider and have the same attitude! (It might be a bit difficult to get her in to a cup and put her outside though).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information