Thread: Paranoid about MS

Paranoid about MS

Let me start by saying that I obviously have health anxiety, but not to the point of going to the doctor. I rarely go unless I'm definitely sick, or if it's for a check-up.

Lately, I have a lot going on. My father is very sick. We have had a tough relationship, sometimes going several years without speaking. Note that this is all due to my stepmother who feels that she and her daughter should be enough for my dad. Long story short, we reunited a few years ago. Things have been great, but my stepmother never includes me when it comes to his health. I will be shocked if I'm not banned from attending his funeral, while I try not to let this stuff get to me, it does get under my skin. My IBS, which I had been symptom-free from for a year, came back a few weeks ago when my dad went downhill.

Sooooo, lately, I have been jittery. My legs feel quivery. Like when I come DOWN the stairs, my legs shake. Going up the stairs is no problem. I've also noticed that when I hold a spoon in my hand, my hand shakes, but it is very, very slight. This happens even when I'm not feeling particularly stressed. So of course, I start wondering if I have some neurological problem. I have NOT googled MS for fear of what I might find. Long story short, I'm worried I have some problem neurologically

My mom tells me it's probably my nerves. I'm about to start school this fall, and that, coupled with my dad and step monster, is probably causing me anxiety. I wish I could pass it off as anxiety, but this quivery thing is new to me.

Re: Paranoid about MS

You mum says it's probably your nerves. Anxiety = nervous; MS = a disease of the nervous system. Thus both produce nigh-on the same list of symptoms, see why people get the two mixed up?

Tremor isn't commonly a presenting symptom of MS as far as I'm aware, and when it does occur, as with all MS symptoms it would be expected to be very localised and more constant. Though I'm not a doctor, and should you be worried you should seem professional advice, I think the fact it's appeared in your legs and arms is a good sign this is a somatic presentation of anxiety.

Btw I don't have MS (just been told this with some certainty by a neuro today, yay) but I have been tested extensively for it over the past few months due to having a post-viral illness in my nervous system that's done a bloody good job of mimicking the symptoms, helped along by a good dollop of anxiety no doubt. I've spent the past year learning all about this disease, and I grew up around someone who had it; what you describe sounds nothing like it.

Thanks so much for your response. I feel much better now. I'm guessing I am just stressed. I read up on "jelly legs" and that eased my fears even more. Funny how a little reassurance can make all the difference.

Here in the US, saying that it's your "nerves" is the same as saying its anxiety. Here, people will commonly say that their "nerves" are shot, meaning hey are a hot mess of anxiety, basically. It doesn't literally mean nerves. She is well aware of my anxiety problem because she is always the one I turn to. God bless her, lol.

Do any if you take meds to help with HA?

Hi Angelica. I replied to your introduction thread as well. There is a great post here about MS and Anxiety: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42556

Let me tell you, even just today I started reading the MS symptoms and it made me super anxious. I had to go for a walk to calm myself down. You're not alone and this is a great place to find people who will listen.

I do not take meds for HA so I can't help there.

So what would cause my shakiness? Is it really anxiety? I've had anxiety for a long time, but it has never affected me in this manner before. For example, when I held the storm door open to turn my dogs out, I noticed that the arm I was using to hold the door open with was shaking (slightly, but enough to see with the naked eye), as if my muscles were too weak to hold the door, but my muscles don't feel weak. Is there anything I can do to make these feelings go away? I try hard not to concentrate on them, but it's very difficult.

Your best bet is to ignore the shakes. I've had problems with anxiety-related tremor in the past and you just have to let it pass.

I tend to get them especially when I haven't slept well or been eating well...both things that are a by-product of anxiety as well.

Try going a couple of weeks without paying attention to it at all. If you notice it, change your thoughts immediately. Set an alarm on your phone so you don't have to be consciously counting down the days. At that point, re-assess your symptoms. If you still have problems, feel free to see a doctor and trust their response. But you'd be surprised at how much power your subconscious has.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks. I will do that and see how it goes. I think the main problem for me is that I'm in a stressful situation that I cannot get out of. And of course, my lovely step-family started my day out with texts meant to provoke me. Doesn't matter how nice I am, they enjoy trying to stir the pot, which in turn sets me off. I seriously feel like I need some meds for this.

Thread Information