Thread: Worried about Bladder cancer

Worried about Bladder cancer

Hi, I have had anxiety issues for a lot of years but normally keep it in check following CBT and a mindfulness course. However, since May I have been getting symptoms of a urinary infection (low down pain, urgency to go to the toilet), however no bacteria have been picked up from my samples. I now have to be referred to the hospital. I am absolutely terrified in case it's bladder cancer. I am 36 so the chances are low, but I'm not sure what else it could be. I'm pretty sure it's not bladder stones as I drink plenty.

I have a phobia of hospitals and general anaesthetics since a bad experience having teeth out at the dentist when I was 6 or 7. Basically I am scared stiff. I have had no sleep for two nights and just at my wit's end. My husband tells me there is nothing to worry about but then why am I being sent for these tests??

I also have backache, higher abdominal aching and pain at the back of my lungs. I'm scared that I have had the cancer for a while and it has spread.

Not sure if anybody has any advice but it's good to get it off my chest

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Forgot the big one - I have microscopic blood in my urine

Re: Worried about Bladder cancer

As you say you are very young to have bladder cancer so I would stop worrying about that. The most obvious symptom of bladder cancer is bleeding which is quite noticeable in your urine. My brother had bladder cancer and that was the only symptom he had - no pain.

They will put a camera into your bladder just to be sure everything is okay but you are not put to sleep for this and I do believe they give you the result there and then.

I do hope all goes okay for you. Please post and let us know.

On a lighter note at least having the camera inserted won't be painful should be glad your not a man having to have one done!

Hematuria is quite common and is rarely a sign of bladder cancer.
    I discovered I had it and after scans and x-rays, was told that the blood was still there but the scans were OK.
    I have to redo the urine test in a few weeks to see if the hematuria has gone or is still there.
    My mind races to bladder cancer as well, but as you say, it's unlikely so I just have to keep plodding on.
    I know how you feel.

Thread Information