Thread: Channel 4 RIGHT NOW

Channel 4 RIGHT NOW

There's a programme on called Are you addicted to your doctor?

Looks interesting for anyone with health anxiety...

Apparently a ambulance call out costs £221. Wow.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

Re: Channel 4 RIGHT NOW

That was an eye-opener!!!

Gutted, missed it.

Anyone in the UK can watch this using the catchup service 4oD. I've posted the link below.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3745309

I've not watched the programme yet but looks like it'll probably make me feel a twinge of guilt for going to the doctors looking for reassurance over whatever "all in my head" illness I'd diagnosed myself with that week.

I guess some people just think that Health Anxiety is a self-inflicted condition and people with it should just keep their mental anguish to themselves and leave the the doctors alone to treat people with real illnesses.

Feeling a bit cranky today :(

40d Link for program

I do think for the survival of the NHS ALL people need to realise what healthcare actually costs. I think at the moment because it is 'free' people take it for granted with trivial complaints, unreasonable demands, missed appointments, abuse, etc. For example in only the first 30 seconds of the program a staff member states she has had an umbrella thrown at her!

As for the lady at the start of the program: Well I'm sorry but I don't think calling for an ambulance 20 times with panic attacks is acceptable; once you know what it is there is no need to be calling 999, it is not an emergency. Clearly this is a sign her MH needs are not being met elsewhere, however it still isn't acceptable and I do wonder If she was being charged £250 a go if she would find other coping mechanisms.

Couldn't agree with you more regarding people abusing the NHS but that's the same with all welfare systems and it's just one reason why the NHS is always one step away from disintegration.

As a general rule, it seems to be that the people who contribute least to society are the ones who exhibit the greatest sense of entitlement to our limited resources regarding health care and other benefits. I'm afraid it'll always be that way.

But what's your opinion on those with HA who visit the GP a lot more than average because of the nature of the illness? I certainly feel embarrassed after the GP rules out any serious illness but also relieved now that my life can get back on track and I can be happy again for a little while...til the next time. I realise that my appointment means that someone else with a physical illness might have to wait longer to be seen to. But what else can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by stressedGuy View Post

But what's your opinion on those with HA who visit the GP a lot more than average because of the nature of the illness? I certainly feel embarrassed after the GP rules out any serious illness but also relieved now that my life can get back on track and I can be happy again for a little while...til the next time. I realise that my appointment means that someone else with a physical illness might have to wait longer to be seen to. But what else can I do?
    You can do your utmost to overcome your HA. The first step is the realisation that you have it, and you're already there. Next you need to start practising acceptance of symptoms and distraction, and stay off the internet.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yenool View Post
    As for the lady at the start of the program: Well I'm sorry but I don't think calling for an ambulance 20 times with panic attacks is acceptable; once you know what it is there is no need to be calling 999, it is not an emergency. Clearly this is a sign her MH needs are not being met elsewhere, however it still isn't acceptable and I do wonder If she was being charged £250 a go if she would find other coping mechanisms.
    Of course she would. It's selfish people like this who give people with health anxiety a bad name. I have called an ambulance once for a panic attack, and I know how terrifying it can be. However the next time I just got through it, because I had identified it, it was a similar experience, and I managed to ride it out despite it being extremely uncomfortable. It's the breathlessness and the palpitations which make you think you're dying.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by skippy66 View Post
    Of course she would. It's selfish people like this who give people with health anxiety a bad name.
    Yes and the interesting thing about that woman was she even admitted that if she was being charged for the ambulance she would have to stop calling and just get through the attacks on her own some other way. That shows that deep down she knows they are panic attacks and not actually going to cause any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by stressedGuy View Post
    ^ I think this depends on the individual and the situation really, it is difficult to generalise. However if the person is in complete denial about the real problem it can lead to massive 'time wasting', because at the extreme end of things they can be visiting the GP multiple times per week for reassurance about perceived physical issues. This reassurance is usually very short lived before the next worry comes along.

However if someone has been diagnosed with anxiety and is attending frequently to try and get that issue under control then that is a bit different. But of course this depends on what support and resources are available locally as mental health services are very thin on the ground in some areas.

Basically GPs do not have time to hand hold, people need to learn to self-reassure and get support from family and friends.

Not sure I have made my point very well but whatever. I don't think HA is helped by all the health scare stories in the media and the fact that every bit of health advice you get these days is ended with the line "if you are concerned see your GP" - however trivial the problem it seems.

I work at a GP practice. At our surgery if you attend A&E for four times or more in a year then your GP will telephone you to discuss why you feel you need to attend A&E and to ask you to come in and discuss your concerns with them. Not sure if this is a national practice or not.

I agree with the posts above.

I think the majority of HA sufferers would stop demanding test after test if they knew they had to pay for them.

At a certain point the need for constant reassurance becomes abuse of a very expensive system.

There seem to be so many people that are happy to go along to their doctors almost weekly to discuss all manner of perceived physical ilnesses while not asking for help with their HA.

I don't understand that at all.

Thread Information