Thread: Don't want to leave the house

Don't want to leave the house

Jut having one of those days. I can't face the world. I'm still in my pyjamas. Was trying to recover today from tonsillitis. My friend wants me to come over and watch Dr Who. I really don't want to get dressed, or walk or go on the tube. Or talk to anyone really.

It would be nice to see my friend but not have to talk about anything.

Do you have any tips about how to get myself motivated to leave the house? I only have about 10 minutes before I'll get to be late.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

I found a great trick! I put my clothes on over my pyjamas... that made it a bit easier. That's really crazy isn't it. But it works. I'm going to listen to music to distract myself from the fact I'll be in the world outside.

Re: Don't want to leave the house

Did you go out?? I hope so as you almost always feel better once you're out and seeing others. Last time I tricked my mind into doing something else and I ended up going out and having a really good day. (I didn't want to drive, so I drove somewhere closer first and went to a yoga class, then driving was easy after that!) it's all about getting out of your current mindset and breaking the negative cycle.

Exactly. Well, I'm glad I went out, but it was still difficult when I was out. I couldn't keep up with conversation - I'm at a slower pace than the others at the moment. I didn't know about the things they were talking about and I didn't feel interested... I wasn't very engaged with them. At least we watched Dr Who for most of the time so I don't think my lack of engagement was a problem for them.

Well done for forcing yourself out when you didn't feel like Lior (*cough* even if you did have your pyjamas on under your clothes *cough* )

Your not gonna put more pyjamas over them are you ? You're gonna look like the Michelin man by the end of the week.

Haha I was boiling by the time I got to my friend's, had to do a quick change in the loo - they had no idea!

When I have days when I'm feeling down, I sometimes put my clothes on over my pyjamas too, or just don't get changed until very late afternoon or evening. Glad I'm not the only one lol but yeah I bet it's very normal and common to be like this when we're feeling down or having one of those days.

I normally struggle with motivation, lose interest in things and have 'what's the point' thoughts when I have a rough day but I do feel better once I eventually get changed or do something.

Glad you went to see your friend and enjoyed yourself

Glad you went out! I've had a lot of times where I'm not really paying attention with my friends and my mind starts to wonder and wish I was home, but in the end I'm still glad I got out the house for a bit!

Yeah it's still hard though isn't it. Even when you're doing it. I'm struggling to get out of bed now. There are other people around the house and I don't want them to see me in these pjs so I really should go and have a shower and get changed... bit frustrating that I can't even deal with the minutiae of life.

You say should and have to.. But what do you want to do? And not what your anxiety wants you to do, what do you want to do yourself? I've found usually my anxiety wants to do the complete opposite of what I want to do. Pick one thing and just go with it, even if half way you think oh I can't really be bothered...

Picking one thing is a good idea. I'm suffering from indecisiveness recently. And procrastination - which simply doesn't happen with me when I'm my normal self.

I'm fed up of struggling. I wish I could have two weeks of no stress - a holiday - where I know that at the end of it, I'll have a job and a home to come back to. All this time I've been off work, I've been working super hard to find a job. I'm so exhausted.

Thread Information