Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else not liking this ALS Ice Bucket Challage?

Anyone else not liking this ALS Ice Bucket Challage?

Hi there, I have worried about ALS so this whole ice water bucket taking over everything like Facebook, the newspapers magizines and TV EVERYWHERE!! Anyone else feel the same as me is this hunting there fears like it does me and I'm nervous someone will nominate me for it, I don't think I can do it. To scared to. So please comment on this it will make me feel better!

Re: Anyone else not liking this ALS Ice Bucket Challage?

I was waiting for somebody just ask this question. If this was a year ago I would be terrified of this ice bucket challenge. I would think it was some kind of horrible sign that I was gonna get the disease. ALS is utterly terrifying. But that thought process is irrational. You know that. I say take the challenge and raise awareness for the disease. A disease that you have probably .003 chance of getting. I truly believe the ice bucket challenge is doing wonders to raise awareness for the disease and to raise money. I did it and if I had the money I would donate it.

I was waiting too, so I thought I would post this cause I needed to be reminded that this to shall pass as they say.

Superstition is one thing you can not afford to have with anxiety. I remember when I was feeling especially scared about cancer I started noticing every television ad about it and feeling similar to how you describe. Try to acknowledge your fears as what they are, fears (though I know that's easier said than done), and relax (also easier said than done).
    "Courage is like love, it must have hope for nourishment."- Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker28 View Post
    Hi there, I have worried about ALS so this whole ice water bucket taking over everything like Facebook, the newspapers magizines and TV EVERYWHERE!! Anyone else feel the same as me is this hunting there fears like it does me and I'm nervous someone will nominate me for it, I don't think I can do it. To scared to. So please comment on this it will make me feel better!
    You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. It's as simple as that.

If you actually do want to help this or any other charity there are dozens of alternative things you can do instead.

I agree with not having to do it if you were nominated. If I was nominated there would be zero chance of me doing it. If I was going to donate I would do it privately. I do understand that it raises awareness but of the very few people I know of who have did it, they have did it 'for the crack'. It's getting to be a bit show offy in my opinion.

Think of it this way. Last year at this time they had raised around $22K. This year, because of this challenge, over $1.5 million. It's brought enormous awareness to a very serious disease. It's a huge positive that will help researchers find better treatments and possibly a cure.

I've done it and donated. I think all that have this fear should do it and donate as a way to face it and say FU to the fear!

The deal is do the challenge and donate $10 or refuse and donate $100. Many, including myself did the challenge and donated a lot more than $10.

If I hadn't challenged three people already I'd challenge all that posted on this thread!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I originally was a little triggered, but it really has grown a lot of awareness. I chickened out and did not dump the ice on myself, but we just donated instead. I'm a baby! lol But the money is needed, as I read somewhere that there has not been a lot of progress in the search for a cure.

Isn't it risky for some people to do this?

Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure and pregnant.

It is not something I would risk doing myself to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

You know to be honest though, the more I see it everywhere, the less I am fearing, which I didn't see it as possible and I know it's for the cause, I guess it's true exposure therapy can work. Everyone has said some really great positive things on the ice bucket challenge and I'm realizing it's more of a positive then a negative. Thanks for all your help in your posts!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information