Thread: Mirtazapine side effects?

Mirtazapine side effects?

Hi i've been on mirtzapine for anxiety and depression for about 6 weeks now. The transition from escitalopram was absolutely awful. I had really bad anger, body jerks and heightened anxiety. They seemed to subside after 2 weeks and then i was increased to 30mg mirtazapine.
    My side effects now seem to be weird hazy vision, not as angry but still very short tempered, brain fog and i have put on about one and a half stone of weight. I was wondering if this has happened with anyone else?

(ive had anxiety for 4 years now. Ive tried citalopram, setraline, venlafaxine and escitalopram. Sertraline was a big help for me but seemed to stop working over time)

Re: Mirtazapine side effects?

I went nuts when I came of Sertraline... almost manic at points. Not a nice experience. I had to do a very quick taper off due to side effects and ended up sedated in hospital so what you went through sounds fairly standard!

I've on occasion been irritable on Mirt but I did wonder if that was just nature.

As for the weight gain I can't recount anyone who hasn't suffered from this. I was very malnourished when I went into hospital after months of feeling sick on sertraline and food on Mirt smells and tastes amazing! I think as I've said before I was having a large chips and battered sausage from the chippy as a SNACK between meals. I'd think nothing of ordering take out late at night and just forgetting and wondering why I was gaining.

Anyway - the appetite has totally worn off after I tried to taper off and now I'm back to feeling sick all the time. Enjoy the appetite. It's a gift! And most of the weight has come off too.

Hi
    I've been on Mirt as a combo with Venlafaxine since about Feb.
    I've found it to be good for depression, but hardly helped me at all with anxiety.
    My main side effects were sedation,but this wore off as time went on.
    I've now reduced down to 15ml again,and its definitely more sedating at lower doses.
    As for the munchies, yes,I've always had them,and as I'm also on a very low dose of Olanzapine,which also has this effect,its taken some getting used to.
    I've got round it by trying to eat loads of fresh fruit and veg,and have managed not to go more than a couple of pounds up and down,which I'm really pleased with.
    It always gives me a great nights sleep too.
    When I first went on them I had no appetite at all,but I'm hoping the slightly lower dose will help with not feeling quite so nibbly.
    My aim is to taper off it altogether,and just stay on the Ven and Olanzapine.

The only real benefit i seem to be having is being able to sleep at a normal time. I dont even know if these are side effects from meds or just newer anxiety symptoms. Its driving me crazy. I suppose i can give it a couple more weeks and see how i feel. Thanks for the replies x

Thread Information