Thread: Swollen gland/node on left side of neck

Swollen gland/node on left side of neck

So I went to the doctor today about the pain I've been having in left side of neck. It feels sore and swollen.

She had a feel and said it could be the glands. She said she wasn't worried and didn't see/feel anything that would alarm her but of course I am worrying away convinced it's a tumour or lymphoma. She said to come back in a month and I asked again if I should worry and she said she wasn't worried.

Anyone experienced stuff like this? Any words of reassurance?

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

She also checked my throat and asked if I had any fever. Also said that it can take 2-3 weeks after having a flu for glands to calm themselves.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Anyone else?

Re: Swollen gland/node on left side of neck

I have an enlarged node underneath my jaw right now. It's been there for about two weeks with a low grade fever and congestion. Doctor said it was caused by seasonal allergies. The node has gone down a bit (might be smaller if I had not prodded it every 10 minutes when I discovered it), and the fever feels like it's going away. If your doctor says shes not worried, you probably don't need to get worried.
    "Courage is like love, it must have hope for nourishment."- Napoleon Bonaparte

I had the flu that finished approx two weeks ago. It was feeling odd during the time I had flu and still does now. Feels like that side of neck is bigger?

Now it's hayfever season where I love so I'm conjested again, I had a week of being able to breathe through my nose after flu and now I have hayfever!

Afraid of lymphoma.

Highly unlikely it's lymphoma, especially since your doctor had a look and said she was not concerned. If she was at all suspicious she would send you for further testing. Flu is a common cause of enlarged nodes. It was almost certainly that. Give yourself a week or so, and if you can't get your mind off this, go back to the doctor for reassurance. Try to find something to keep your mind busy in the meantime, worrying about it can only make it worse.

My fave doc (who tolerates my HA) is gone for a month so I hope I can keep it in check until then!

I wish I could get it outta my mind. Convinced I have lymphoma. Because with health anxiety what else could it be?!?

I need to remember I've also convinced myself I have breast, ovary, bowel cancer too in the last year

I know it can be tough to keep it off your mind, especially after the first week of discovering it. Maybe you could call a friend, read a book, watch some television, or listen to some music? Anything to keep you mind busy. Just keep your hand away from your neck, I know you probably want to constantly check it, but doing that can only further irritate the node and keep you worried.

Thread Information