Thread: Had a strange panic attack

Had a strange panic attack

At least I think it was a panic attack, might have been a nervous breakdown or something else. Been suffering with anxiety for many years, with ups and downs, but I always manage. One possibly related but also possibly unrelated note, I had a scintillating scotoma(which I get every 6 months or so) the night before my attack which scared me greatly. The next day at work I went the whole day without a panic attack but I felt really on edge, like adrenaline was being pumped throughout my body which felt terrible. The next day I felt the same way and it was really getting to me, hat night I started to massively panic and began pacing around the house trying to calm myself down. I finally fell asleep and then waking up immediately into another even worse panic attack which was complete with shaking. I called my doctor and she said it may be due to low exercise and bad diet. After eating, going to the doctor to get my heart checked, and getting a little bit of exercise I felt better (although still light headed with some palpitations). What I cared about most was that the adrenaline feeling was gone. That initial panic occurred Sunday night, it is now Thursday night and I am still pre-occupied about it. I've never experienced any panic attack even close to that, I stayed home these past five days trying to rest but I still feel traumatized by it. My biggest fear is that it will come back. I am going to start some therapy to try to deal with my anxiety, but I am also considering getting a prescription of Xanax from my doctor and trying it. I am scared stiff of medicine but I don't ever wanna go through that ever again

---------- Post added at 03:59 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

Do u guys think I should try the xanax? I am reading rave reviews on its effectiveness elsewhere

Re: Had a strange panic attack

Hello there,

I have been prescribed ,5mg Xanax to use for panic attacks, up to 3 pills daily, and so far it has done very little for me. I don't know if it's because I am a very big girl or if my body simply doesn't respond, but I will only feel minor effects about an hour after taking it (some tiredness), and end up having to work through the panic in some other way. I think it's worth trying though if you feel you need it, as for many people it helps immensely. It's really up to you, and best of luck whatever you do.

Thread Information