Thread: Eyes move rapidly when closed

Exclamation Eyes move rapidly when closed

Does anybody else with anxiety get this? I only noticed it today but it's freaking me. Could it be due to stress? Eye strain? I think it might be what's currently causing me to have very light sleep and lucid/vivid dreams.

Re: Eyes move rapidly when closed

Yes another symptom of anxiety, I guess now that you have noticed it you will be focusing on it more so it will seem worse than it is.

Do you experience the same thing, Annie? My big fear is schizophrenia and this just adds to my fear that I'm developing it.

I used to get this years ago, way before any anxiety issues. Never knew it was a symptom!

Well, eyes do move rapidly when closed and asleep (that's where REM sleep comes from), so what's wrong with them moving as fast when awake? If it doesn't hurt when asleep it won't hurt whilst awake.

Besides, I'll tell you a secret: It's actually you moving them that fast. If you don't think about it, you'll notice they don't go as fast.

Cheers, and I hope you feel better. And trust me, if you don't hear voices, then it's not schizophrenia.

It must have been going on for a while before I fully noticed it so I'm not entirely convinced it's voluntary.

I think if anyone closes there eyes they will notice them moving especially if they start to concentrate on them but I do notice that the more stressed I am the quicker they seem to move. It is not a worry for me because it is perfectly natural.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffnon View Post
    It must have been going on for a while before I fully noticed it.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Haha dude, relax. How can you know something has been going one before you notice it? Really, eye movements are okay and normal, unless you are unable to see properly because of them.

I get them too, and it's terrifying cos I feel I can't stop moving them and I will go insane but meh, then I distract myself and it goes away,

Haha, you're probably right really. I imagine it's probably down to a build up of chronic stress.

Thread Information