Thread: Menopause & Anxiety/Panic

Unhappy Menopause & Anxiety/Panic

I guess its true to say that you really dont realise how much your anziety and panic have improved until the old feelings rear there heads!

After having bloods taken, I am in the midfle of my menopause but knew that anyway as had missed periods. When I miss one, i still get some 'normal' pre menstrual symptoms, but they pass.

But, like now, when I know I am going to bleed, the symptoms go through he roof and my anxiety is off the scale. I have bad dreams, i wake p several times a night in panics, my stomach knotted, hot and sweaty.

Now I know you can have those symptoms for menopause even if you dont suffer from anxiety and panic; but I do and those symptoms are triggering my reaction to anxiety/panic. And my reaction is to start getting even more worked up!

So I try doing tapes, take Bach rescue remedy etc, the things I normally do, but of course they only now help a bit, because most of this is physical.

Im terrified of tablets. I cant have HRT anyway as Im over 50 and it should be started prior to this.

I feel like Im between a rock and a hard place: the anxiety and panic that I managed to get under control for 80% of the time is now being eroded and my confidence in coping is taking a dive....which is causing even more panic!

Any advice please!

Re: Menopause & Anxiety/Panic

You can have HRT over fifty, it depends on your individual medical history and the history of certain cancers in your family.

It's used with the most caution over 60 when the risks start to outweigh the benefits but don't just rule it out without speaking to your GP.

HRT also doesn't need to be taken in tablet form.

Re: Menopause & Anxiety/Panic

I started taking HRT this year (age 56!) You can start taking it at any age. It is only a risk if you start taking it at an earlier age and continue taking it for many years. I have been so much better since taking it. Less anxious and much happier. I have Mirena coil for the progesterone and oestrogen patches.

Thread Information