Thread: Benedryl has changed my life but...

Benedryl has changed my life but...

I've been using benadryl to sleep for the last 2 weeks. I use one tab to fall asleep then i use another when i wake up in the middle of the night. It has worked beautifully. I've never slept like this in my life. I've been getting seven to eight hours of sleep a night and I feel like a totally different happy person. It has really changed my life...

But...

I read online benadryl is bad for long periods of time which makes me really sad as it's cured me of my crappy sleep habits...

So I was wondering for those who have used benedryl to help them sleep? How long did you use it for also what other over the counter sleep aide can i try out that has worked for you?

Re: Benedryl has changed my life but...

I've used Diphenhydramine to sleep before (the active ingredient in Benadryl). Its marketed over here as 'Nytol'. I understand that the main problem with this drug is developing tolerance over time.

In terms of alternatives - have you tried chamomile or valerian? Also, is your room at a good temperature? Do you make sure you stay away from computers/phones for an hour before you go to bed? What about caffeine/sugar, especially near bed? Exercise and fresh air also helps.

I've never used it but I've heard melatonin works for quite a few people too.

Hope in any case you get your sleep sorted

I thought it was used as cough mixture?I have some now for flu,it does not make me drowsy.

Quote Originally Posted by blue moon View Post
    I thought it was used as cough mixture?I have some now for flu,it does not make me drowsy.
    They differ per country, in Oz they are distributed without the antihistamine emphyrio mentioned so you don't get the drowsiness.

The OP gets the first generation antihistamine which has a sedative affect.

Its different again in the UK where we get one of two different antihistamines as we have two different forms of Benedryl.

Nytol on the other hand is specifically for sleep disturbance so its more like the US Benedryl I guess, although I haven't seen the levels of that antihistamine in the ingredients to say how its comparable.

Thread Information