Thread: Bowel Troubles...

Post Bowel Troubles...

Hey all,

Over the last five days I have had abdominal discomfort/pain. The pain is mainly right sided and is diffuse/poorly localised. There are areas on both sides of the abdomen that are a little tender to the touch. No rebound tenderness is present and the pain is not worsened through coughing or movement (I've ruled out appendicitis based on this and the duration of these symptoms). My bowel is very noisy. It feels like there is a lot of wind/gas there and on the right side it can feel like there is a "pocket" of gas present.
    I am still having BM's and I did notice that I was peeing a lot more frequently initally.

I have had one day where I did lose my appetite and I have experienced nausea.

A little background worth mentioning is that in July I was involved in an accident where I ended up with two fractured front teeth (top) and a broken nose. I developed a massive infection of my hard palate and was put on a pretty heroic dose of amoxicillin for a week. I have had a reaction to penicillin/penicillin type antibiotics before and one of my theories is that this is a consequence of the tablets. I also started taking high dose fish oil supplements a few days before the onset of these symptoms.

I know it would be better for me to stop theorising and to go and see a doctor! and I will if these symptoms don't resolve over the next couple of days.

Re: Bowel Troubles...

It could be IBS but that is diagnosed by ruling out other bowel problems

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

A while ago when I was reading reviews of probiotics on Amazon I kept coming across good reviews where people had IBS or had been on high strength antibiotics (and not been right since) and they were saying that probiotics did help them.

Antibiotics kill bacteria indescriminately, so they kill the good bacteria in the gut. This allows the bad bacteria to thrive because they are not being kept in balance by the good bacteria. These bad bacteria like sugar, so if you have a lot in your diet, you will be allowing them to get even more out of balance if this has happened.

This is where Candida can be an issue. So, it might be worth having a look at the Candida angle.

You should see your GP about prolonged issues like you have had but if nothing is helping, maybe it is a fungal issue like Candida?

I started supplementing with probiotics as I was struggling with large meals and I found that it improved my digestion and the headaches I was getting after eating these meals also went.

I would say that the fact there is tenderness, you should see a GP anyway as they can check that out for you and rule things out.

Went to see out of hours doctor today who admitted me to surgical assessment ward based on some not so good initial observations (elevated ketones in urine, high blood pressure, tachycardia, low grade fever).

I spent an age on the ward and was examined by two surgeons. Doesn't seem to be my appendix and my blood work was fine.

Mystery continues...

Saw GP today and he thinks it is indeed an imbalance in natural gut flora caused by the antibiotics! Examined my tummy carefully twice and said it is highly unlikely to be appendix related.

Hi did you recover from this is i am going through something similar

Thread Information