Thread: Please reply - Irregular heartbeat for a few seconds

Please reply - Irregular heartbeat for a few seconds

Yesterday something scary happened. I was on my computer in the evening, when suddenly my heart went crazy for a few seconds. It wasn't pounding, but I could feel it beating through my chest, and it was totally irregular. After about 5 seconds, it fixed itself, and now my pulse is back to about 68 BPM in regular fashion. I've had blood pressure, oxygen levels, ECG and blood tests done which were all fine (except for the possibility of hyperthyroid), but after this I'm hoping to get a Holter and an echo just in case.

My question: can this type of palpitation be caused by anxiety or hyperthyroidism? Also, is this what people call "fluttering in the chest"?

This just scared me, as I've never had this type of palpitation before, so I want to know whether it could indicate something serious. I was worrying a bit that day, but not at the time it happened. I was scared to go to bed last night after it happened.

Re: Please reply - Irregular heartbeat for a few seconds

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have had this before. I am still here though so I think it is just something that happens! It does feel weird and disconcerting and when I first noticed it happening I mentioned it to my doctor (I could only describe it as a sort of double heart neat feeling) and he didn't seem concerned, I have since had an blood oxygen test because I occasionally get blue lips and everything was fine. I also found out that my dad has had the double heart beat thing as well so it could be hereditary. Sorry I have no answers but hope you keep well.

I had pretty much the exact same thing happen last week, on and off for maybe 10 seconds.

Of course, everyone should get checked out by a doctor.

I suspect it's simply the irritated part of the heart which fires off and causes early beats being particularly grumpy and firing several times in a row. After all, if conditions are ideal for one ectopic, why wouldn't they be ideal for several?

Thread Information