Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to get off the Zopiclone

Trying to get off the Zopiclone

Hi all

I have been on Zopiclone for close to ten years. I have always had problems sleeping and I was given these pills by the doctor as I had started college and was not getting much sleep and it was causing problems.

Anyway I have been on these things, brought over the internet, ever since. I normally take about half when I go to sleep and on the odd occasion another quarter if I awake before about 3 am.

Earlier this year the legal status of these pills were changed here in the UK so only licensed places can sell them. They can still be brought online, but they are more expensive and I can't afford my habit. So this week I have a week off work and I am trying to get off them.

So, last night was my first night with out the Zop's. Well, almost. I took two Valerian about half an hour before bed. I read a bit of a magazine and had some soothing music on very quietly in the background. Come 2am I cracked and grabbed a zopiclone and chopped it into quarters. (of course, you can't guarantee its 7.5mg's evenly distributed) and drank it down. I had two spells of good sleep, waking up at about 5am and then sleeping for a while until about 9am. I feel a bit funny in the head today, per haps a bit dizzy.

I have a few days out this week so we will see what it brings.

Re: Trying to get off the Zopiclone

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

OK venus

Not much luck in kicking the pills. Had to have a quarter of one last night even though I was shattered from a three mile walk yesterday.

Good luck Pete

Well, Thursday night into Friday I slept for about three or four hours up until about 3am. I then came into the back room and played on the PC for about an hour before feeling shattered again and went back to bed. I then managed to sleep for about another three or sour hours. When I got up I felt quite good. I was tired and felt slightly 'different' but overall OK.

Last night (Friday into Saturday) despite being really tired I was still awake at almost half past four. Twice I managed to stop myself from grabbing half a zopiclone pill, but the third time I was to tired and annoyed. Within an hour I was asleep.

So I will have to see what tonight brings. The real test will be Sunday night as I have work Monday morning and that always makes me a bit nervous.

Have you considered seeing your GP about this? I have used Zopiclone on prescription and your GP will be able to help you with a withdrawal programme.

Considering it acts on the same areas as Benzodiazapenes, it may need a similar withdrawal programme to reduce the withdrawl side effects.

Good luck!

I feel for you Pete and can identify with trying to hold out and not take the zoo.
    Your sleeping pattens sound all over the place.
    Have you considered mirt/pregabalin combo instead as this should help aid sleep, but not as addictive as*zop.

I'm really surprised that they were allowing general sale of this stuff until making it a Cat C in May 2014. I took it back in 2007 and my GP said it was habit forming then so why on earth have they allowed it to be sold in the first place or for another 7 years after GP's knowing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'm really surprised that they were allowing general sale of this stuff until making it a Cat C in May 2014. I took it back in 2007 and my GP said it was habit forming then so why on earth have they allowed it to be sold in the first place or for another 7 years after GP's knowing about it?
    I suspect he has been buying from dodgy online 'pharmacies' that will sell you anything if you have the cash.

Really should speak to the GP about getting this on prescription and doing a controlled taper because withdrawing from long term use your own will not be easy.... Z drugs like Zopiclone are pretty much just Benzodiazepines by another name so cause many of the same unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Sorry but I think you will find that Zopiclone is a Hypnotic drug and Benzes are tranquilizers so work in a completely different way on the brain.
    I have been on Zop for 14 years and Lorazepam for 2 years and they work totally differently.
    Zopiclone withdrawal really should be done VERY slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms..but it can be done.
    Look up the Ashton Method, the. Go to your GP and be honest about buying it on the internet, which is illegal as it is a prescription only drug.
    The Ashton Method has a taper programme for Zop withdrawal using Diazepam as a substitute, but it does not always work. My GP was happy for me to try this methods once I had shown her the programme.

Good luck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information