Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get off the Zopiclone

Re: Trying to get off the Zopiclone

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    Sorry but I think you will find that Zopiclone is a Hypnotic drug and Benzes are tranquilizers so work in a completely different way on the brain.
    I have been on Zop for 14 years and Lorazepam for 2 years and they work totally differently.
    Good luck

Try actually reading what I said.
    Benzos have various effects, muscle relaxant, anti seizure, calming anxiety, hyponotic, etc. Temazepam is an example of a benzo that is primarily used for its hypnotic effect and not as a tranquilizer for anxiety.

So they do have very similar effects and work in similar ways. So similar in fact that they even have the same antidote in case of overdose. I mean think about it, if they weren't similar why would they use diazepam to taper.....

Zopiclone, a benzodiazepine-like drug was introduced and initially promoted as having less dependence and withdrawal than traditional benzodiazepine drugs. However, zopiclone may have an even greater addictive potential than benzodiazepines and has been described as a "benzodiazepine in disguise".[27][28][29]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopiclone

I would find a more reputable source than wikipedia but I can't be bothered.

Zopiclone is nasty stuff and best avoided, OP should speak to his doctor.
    Last edited by yenool; 29-09-14 at 21:30.

On the other hand, zopiclone does not necessarily cause tolerance, and thus is still considered non-addictive per se, by many doctors. Tolerance is the second "prong" if you will, of addiction, dependency being the other. For example, if I don't take zopiclone I can't sleep. I depend (am dependent) on it for sleep. However, I never take more than the same one tablet, and it continues to work for me years on. No tolerance issues. Technically not addictive, despite what wiki says. But definitely not the panacea it had been touted as, since dependency does rear it's ugly head and will still require a withdrawal to come off of. Whether to check into a detox facility and do it more quickly, or to stick to a withdrawal schedule and cope as best as possible while carrying on with life is up to the person who wants off it.

After being diagnosed with depression again, I do find that with my new psych meds I require more sleep before I can wake fully, and believe that the zopiclone is part of the problem now. My doc is hopeful that as my depression is resolved, I will be able to sleep naturally without the zop, and I am willing to try. Another member here did the same, by implementing a slow, slow taper (paring the pill gradually). I look forward to doing the same, as I know the psych meds will be long-term and I can't just continue to sleep for 12 hours a night!

In my experience vs benzodiazapenes, I don't feel "high" on zop nor do I get a real 'hangover' stupor from it, and neither does it interfere with my memory like benzos. Of course, it too is ideally only used for a week or so, which is what most docs prescribe it for. My doc seems to feel that it is a safe bet for sleep alone, especially when one is also taking psych drugs. ... I hate to say it, but I don't trust benzos anymore at all, and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Diazepam would be much more likely to create rapid tolerance than zopiclone, and thus create full-blown benzodiazapene addiction instead of helping with withdrawal, imo. Talk to me again when I'm coming off the zop, and I'm sure I will have my struggles re-establishing sleep again. But I don't anticipate that I will suffer the same sort of panic and drug-seeking/substitution behaviours. Fingers crossed...

Good luck to you as well, Pete_uk!
    Marie

I took Zopiclone for 30 days when I was going onto Citalopram and what I found out from the mental health team is that it should have been cycled every other day. So, after a month on it, I did this to taper off and for the first week I just couldn't sleep hardly at all but would sleep fine the next night, albeit the hours asleep decreased from about 9-7hrs max. After that week, I could go without it.

I found after being on Zopiclone for a couple of weeks that I really struggled waking up, would take an hour or so to get up and I couldn't digest food so had to eat plain biscuits. It would take about 6hrs before I woke up properly. I still suffer this slightly (takes hrs to properly wake up, but can eat properly, but sometimes it can be an effort), so I expect Zopiclone just advanced an existing issue.

These past few days I have had to take a stupidly small amount of the Zops to get me to sleep. I know when its kicking in as I just feel more rested. I have tonight and Friday night before I don't need to get up for work for another week. Although I won't go to bed so early I know I need to keep in a rhythm.

My sleep has always been broken and bad. The last time I had an early morning job before I was on any pills I was miserable most of the time.

[rant]
    If I wanted COPD or liver damage, I could go out and smoke and drink as muc has I could afford. But something to get a good nights sleep? Thats a no no.
    [/rant]

ok, so Monday night I had to take half a pill as I had a sudden angry outburst with myself. But Tuesday night I went without the zopiclone and last night I also slept well without any zopiclone. Had some very weird dreams though.

I feel for you Pete ,ive just gone through two weeks of terrible insomnia.My only advice for you is to taper very very slowly and be in no rush to get off the meds.A slow taper will win in the end every time
    good luck

Well done Pete, thats how it starts mate. You get more able to come off them and each extra day is another victory.

Weird dreams are part of anxiety & depression anyway so perhaps these will adjust as you do?

Well, I have been doing quite well! Last Wednesday I had a bad cold so I took half a pill - the first for about five days. Needless to say I slept well and I needed it too.

Last night something wound me right up, so I took a look in the drawer and there was this quarter of a pill I had broken up a few weeks ago. God knows what small amount of drug was actually in there but I was off with the fairies in about half an hour.

So, I'm getting there.

Thats good news Pete!

Yeah, some strange dreams but the Valerian capsules (about £17 for 60 + another 60 for 1p at Holland and Barratt) seem to relax me enough to drift off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information