Thread: Gonna have to leave work due to panic attacks

Gonna have to leave work due to panic attacks

I need some advice i used to get panic attacks around 6 years ago and with the help of seroxat they got better and eventually went.
    I slowly came of seroxat as the withdrawal was terrible and started citalopram 10mg.
    I have been working in the city of london for 1 month having to use public transport which has brought them on again. Having terrible hot flushes faint feeling dizzy tummy upset and headaches and feeling generally unwell.
    I went to the docs and they gave me lorazepam for 2 weeks and he will not give me it as long term use, it really helps me get to work and stops the panics completley.
    I only take 1mg twice a day so i think i will hopefully continue.
    has anyone used lorazepam and what was your experience.
    Im thinking of hypnosise dont know if that can help or works??
    I am gonna have to leave my job as i cant conyinue feeling like this so unwell its ruining my life... Please help.
    Suzan London

Why don't you try Rescue Remedy instead of Lorazepam. It helps loads of us on here and takes the edge off the panic.

Giving up your job is a major step to take as there is the serious risk then of never going out again and facing the fears.

Are you doing relaxation and taking Vitamin B supplements as well?

Hypnosis is great and very relaxing.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Hi Suzan,

I feel you ought to continue to work, even if it means working locally but preferably using public transport so you are facing the fear still. Maybe its the extra stress caused by commuting into the centre of London that is causing the big time panics.

I had panics on and off for a few years before I finaly collapsed into total anxiety and then I was on sick leave for months before I finally left.

Have you discussed the work situation with your doctor?

Take Care

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi susan, Firstly sorry your feeling this way ,i can relate to this though. i take diazapam,just occasionally ,mainly for travelling, going away on saturday and am dreading the journey.Iknow i will be fine, but it doe,st stop the anxiety,i did try hypnocise that worked for me ,but after a few days was back anxious again, £35 a time is no joke.Iguess we have to try differrnt things till we find what suites. best of luck and hope you feel better soon, happy new year to you too.

i use Lorazepam. i use .5mg when needed....it helps a lot, but i need a nap when i use it. i am on lexapro too right now...which has helped a lot, have only been on it about 2 weeks or so...i was givin the Lorazepam for the adjustment, but also just sparingly when needed.

hope it all works out for you

Lauren

Hi Suzi

I continued to work throughout my worse time and am so relieved I did. I believe if I had packed my job in I would be agoraphobic now.

I have a bag of distractions for when I'm at traffic lights or on a train etc and they are - 4Head (headache remedy which stings so much it takes your mind off your panic, rescue remedy, Kava Kava, Diazipam (for emergencies), chewing gum, water, manicure equipment, aspirin (incase I think I'm having a heart attack) and sun glasses (this list is not exhaustive!!!). Just knowing they are there helps. I also told my colleagues how I was feeling and so everyone cut me some slack.

Is there another way you can get to work? Try anything for now, just to keep you going!!!

Good luck

Kay x

Hi Suzan, I think Ray is right, try and work something out with the Job.
    I get more uptight sitting at home with nobody about to talk to.
    It must be difficult to get back into employment after leaving due to these types of setbacks?

Dave

I can only reiterate what the others have said hon, try to stick with your job - in my experience avoiding things will only reinforce your anxiety.
    It is just a suggestion but perhaps CB therapy as well as the meds would benefit you long term? Relapse rates are high amongst sufferers who have relied on meds alone. Good luck,

Nel xxx

I went off sick from work in Jan and apart from 2 poor attempts have been unable to return, I have developed a huge avoidance to my work place and expect them to be ending my contract very soon, this was a huge mistake for me, with anxiety, once you allow it to keep you from doing something or going somewhere it is very very hard to get back into it, stick at it and things will ease for you, good luck x

Thread Information