Thread: Fear of feinting

Fear of feinting

Hi all

Have experienced panic on and off for always. This episode started about a year ago. Been taking prozac (as citalopram made me 100x worse, and I know that I don't get side effects on prozac) for about six months.
    Last week I went to a pub which I know well(and have never experienced panic there before) for a xmas meal with three close friends. My friends are aware of my attacks. Meal went well until the coffee arrived. I felt an attack coming on and couldn't fight it off. So I thought I would go home. Had done ok to finish the meal and had been drinking water al night so was safe to drive. When I got up I passed out. My frend then helped me towards the toilets when I passed out again, knocking myself unconscious for a couple of seconds. Hubby had to come and get me. I felt awful. Just wanted to be at home.
    Now, I have never...NEVER feinted with panic attacks. Tried to ignore and carry on as normal, only to feel feint again earlier today. I am now full of dread that this is going to become a habit.

Makes me feel desperate and thinking about what the point is. Maybe I should just never go out again. Can't face the danger and humiliation of it happening again.
    Any advice?
    Susan x

Hi there

Have you been checked out by the doctor? Do you have low blood pressure for example? Have you told him about these episodes?

If you never go out again then that will be the end of your life basically won't it and I am sure you don't want to spend forever locked up inside.

People very rarely faint with panic attacks but it does happen to a minority.

Learning how to do correct breathing will really help too.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Dear Susan,

You said: Makes me feel desperate and thinking about what the point is. Maybe I should just never go out again.

Please get check out by a doctor as the post above mine said and please let us/me know how you made out at the doctors. Please email me personally. Thanks,
    Concerned,
    Rose

Don't walk in front of me I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me I may not lead.
    Just walk beside me and be my friend

hi supasooz,
    please get your doctor to check you out. i had the same thing as you have described at the beginning of the year. i fainted upon getting up quiet a few times. turns out i have got posteral hypotension (low blood pressure).
    it is scarey when you faint but i was given good advice on how to deal with it. ie raising out of your seat slowley.
    feel free to pm me anytime.

take care
    penny

Hi supasooz,

I dont think its the panic that made you pass out,its very rare for you to pass out whilst having a panic attack,even though it feels like it at the time.

Please get checked out by your gp like the others have said.

Take care and dont let this set you back,Candie xxx

Hi Honey i was on the tube the other day i became very hot and dizzy and could feel myself going to faint. I get the feeling of fainting alot and it is my fear.
    Speak to your doctor.
    Hope you feel better soon try to drink more water. and eat regular meals.
    Suzi xx

I'm abosultely terrfied of fainting so I probably shouldn't have opened this topic but this is what my doctor told me:
    -It is almost impossible to faint whilst you are having a panic attack because your blood pressure raises ever so slightly and when you feel faint your blood pressure has dropped.
    You should go to see you doctor because your fainting spells could be entirely unrelated to your painc attacks.

Dear Susan,

Really sorry to hear you were so poorly. I fainted several times and became so panicky about fainting as a result. I understand how scared you must be feeling right now. Please go and see your doctor to get some reassurance - mine were diagnosed as a kind of migraine and I haven't had one for seven months now (fingers crossed!)

Take care and big hugs. Please feel free to PM me too if you like.

Love,

Bee Bee

Thread Information