Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore throat 8 weeks

Sore throat 8 weeks

I have had like a soreness on one side of my throat for 8 weeks. It feels like is is coming from the tonsil or just below it. I have seen 2 seperate doctors, about 5 times each, who said they are certain that my anxiety is causing the problem to persist.

Both doctors have said they don't want to refer me yet, as they don't want me worrying over it when they strongly believe nothing is wrong. Obviously Im worried about the C word. But they said I would have other signs, and also my symptoms would have worsened over time, not stayed the same or got slightly better. Also both said my age, non smoking, non drinking habits on top of things make it very unlikely of something sinister going on.

They want me to have anxiety therapy first. The pain is like a scratchy, and sometimes stinging sensation, and about 3/4 out of 10 on pain. I have been able to eat food and drink fine. And other than when anxious, feel ok within myself.

Has anyone else had something similar that was persistent for so long?

I made the mistake of googling symptoms at the start of all this, making me panic, and I check my throat every day, making myself reach to see further down my throat.

Steven
    Last edited by stevepound; 24-09-14 at 17:15.

Re: Sore throat 8 weeks

Do you suffer with post nasal drip as that can cause sore throats I have had that myself before also an allergies or dust etc that we don't know about could cause symptons like that as well. Have you tried taking something like strepsils to see if it helps you? x

Strepsils alleviate the soreness for about 10 minutes. I mainly feel the sensation when I swallow.

Thanks for the reply. What's nasal drip?

Post nasal drip is basically the stuff from our nose instead of us feeling like we need to blow our nose it goes the way an drips down the back of our throats but when I had it I kind of felt it I think an it did cause my throat to feel funny an sore an scratchy. Also if your throat is dry it might feel like that a bit or tickly. But there are many symptons of stress an anxiety but I understand it difficult to know what is what sometimes so always best to get things checked out. If your not happy though go back to your GP an see a different Doctor.

I did go back and saw a different doctor. Said the same, and that I also have a cryptic tonsil, and a scarred damaged tonsil as well, which when I looked myself I can see

Oh right did they explain how you got that an if that was the reason for the soreness sounds like it might be. Have you got any food stuck in them perhaps, what about trying to gargle with salt water that's healing an also if there was any tiny pieces of food hopefully it might dislodge them. Hope it sorts itself out for you soon an you feel better x

Tried salt water, similar effect to strepsils. Thank you, I'm so worried and scared it makes me cry

There is always the alternative of having your tonsils out? which I know would cause anxiety in itself, wish I could offer more help or advice.

I have had this many times before (since the anxiety started) and each time it has lasted from anywhere between a few weeks and a few months. It's unfortunately one of those things that is hard to forget about since it's so uncomfortable and worrying!

I thought for sure that something sinister was happening in my throat! It turned out to just be severe muscle tension every single time and always resolved by itself

Quote Originally Posted by lalouba View Post
    I have had this many times before (since the anxiety started) and each time it has lasted from anywhere between a few weeks and a few months. It's unfortunately one of those things that is hard to forget about since it's so uncomfortable and worrying!

I thought for sure that something sinister was happening in my throat! It turned out to just be severe muscle tension every single time and always resolved by itself
    Mine is like, I don't feel anything unless i make a swallowing action. and its almost every tome i make the swallowing action i feel the pain. and sometimes i feel a soreness like when certain food goes past the left hand side in that spot.

Does that sound familiar at all or is that different to you?

Thank you so much for the replies. Im so scared right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information