Thread: Antidepressants ?

Antidepressants ?

So I've had health anxiety for a long time now and today my doctor asked if I wanted to try a new approach. He prescribed me antidepressant and I'm very sceptical to take it. He said Ill still feel emotions just not the extreme fear I have. I don't know. Something about it doesn't sit right with me..
    Anyone have experience with this?

Re: Antidepressants ?

Honestly, personally I wouldn't. The statistical evidence that SSRIs are effective for anxiety disorders is sketchy at best. Anxiety and depression are often partners in crime and if it's the case that you are also depressed, they may be of help. However I'm of the opinion that these sort of less serious mental health issues are fixable only with time, therapy and big lifestyle changes: as much as I'd like to think the answers lie in a pill, alas IMO this isn't the case.

Anti depressants can be useful in giving you some breathing space if you just can't go it alone. Whilst they evidence may be patchy, you can still use them as a temporary aid to assist you but they are not a cure and you will still need to tackle it with such as conventional therapy or when you come off them there is a good chance you could re experience it.

You have to be realistic though, anti depressants can bring side effects so don't expect much for at least the first month. The side effects could also make you feel worse at first but this subsides.

The thing with antidepressants is that if you dont feel 100% they will work for you its not worth taking them.I think the placebo effect is far greater than the actual chemical effect

I've been on antideppesants when my anxiety was in full swing plus beta blockers and at that time it was exactly what I needed! I still had the worry but none of the anxiety came with the worry so I was able to forget about it very quickly. I was on a low dose and came of them within a year. they really help me.

They help me as well and I think they can if you get the right ones. It doesn't mean you have to depend on them forever and to be honest, a lot of the side effects are only listed for pharma to cover their asses in case, reading them with our thought processes can be detrimental.

I've been on a lot over the years and have always felt if it's my brain conjuring up my anxiety (general and social before health), I can make it better. But I was getting worse and worse and sometimes you do need a helping hand.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

He said he's giving me the lowest dose. I'm just worried I'll get addicted or that they'll make me worse or that Ill be dependent on them

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 ----------

Im all about the natural approach so I don't know if I could handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica780 View Post
    He said he's giving me the lowest dose. I'm just worried I'll get addicted or that they'll make me worse or that Ill be dependent on them

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 ----------

Im all about the natural approach so I don't know if I could handle this.
    they arent addictive ,I went on mine for 3 months and got off them as soon as i felt better.I had no problem getting off them at all.They got me over a blip so helped but I wasnt prepared to be on them long term,counselling and CBT helped me fix the long term problems

My experience is that antidepressants do not help with my anxiety at all but they can help if you are feeling down and depressed.

They are not addictive in the sense that you will crave more and more and your use will spiral out of control. But some of them do have side effects if you stop suddenly - a slow taper over a couple of weeks is best.

If you are going to give them a try then you do need to commit to it - any benefits take a few weeks to show up but of course any side effects are almost instant!

Thread Information