Thread: My first time with Fluoxetine - scared :(

Unhappy My first time with Fluoxetine - scared :(

Hello all,

I've just been to the docs and basically broke down in front of him after a series of terrible days, mostly involving my heart going nutso!

He has prescribed me Fluoxetine (20mg) and Diazepam (2mg) to take while the Fluoxetine settles.

I have taken a Diazepam but haven't noticed any real improvement after taking it 35-40 minutes ago. I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take to kick in but I thought I was supposed to be quite quick.

I'm scared to take the Fluoxetine after suffering so badly with side effects and extremely heightened anxiety when I tried Citalopram and Sertraline in the past. I know that it will likely be worth it in the end but I just feel so scared of the first month or so, and I have a 3 year old to care for who I don't want to feel ignored or like her mummy is too terrified to do anything fun!

Help :(

Re: My first time with Fluoxetine - scared :(

Hey I'm at 5 weeks just with fluoxitine and today has been the best day so far you will always get side effects especially the hightend anxiety but it just takes time and you will be so pleased when you do get there normality starts to creep in and get better and better this is my seconed time on flu and the side effects have been a lot worse this time than last but I'm hoping I am through the worst now just go for it you have the Diaz to help through the early stages and just keep coming on here and reading what a lot of people say just stick with it even if you get real bad days the good ones will come😄

Re: My first time with Fluoxetine - scared :(

You may very well get side effect, lalouba, but fluoxetine does have LESS side effects than other SSRIs. Different SSRIs work differently as well, and affect people differently. If you've responded badly to Citalopram and Sertaline, you might respond very differently to fluoxetine. I know people who have had bad side effects from fluoxetine, however I know MORE people who have had NO bad side effects.

I know it's a scary thing, but if you think it is going to help and be worth it in the long run then it is worth a shot. I understand the concern you have with having a 3 year old daughter who deserves your attention, but you also deserve to take care of yourself and feel better. And if the fluoxetine works, imagine how much better the attention you give your daughter may be.

Best of luck!

Thread Information