Thread: Had my first panic attack three weeks ago

Had my first panic attack three weeks ago

Hi,

This year I lost three people, two of them were from my family and the other one was almost like a family (very close). Last one died only 3 weeks ago, I was shocked, it was hard because it was the third time this year but I just powered through. Fast forward 4 days after the funeral. I was sitting in a cafe with my friend between lectures and suddenly out of blue my head started spinning, I felt like I will faint any moment now and die. I thought that I was going to have a heart attack, I was so scared. I couldnt even get home, I had to call a friend to drive me back home. I was shaking badly.

Told everything to my parents and they said that it was from the recent events. Then next day I stayed home and went to psychiatrist and he told me the same thing. When going back home (I was going there with my mom because I didnt want to be alone on my way there) Then when we were going back there was that fainting feeling again, thought that I will faint there on the street and die, I pulled my mom inside the cafe and we sat down. Then we went home.

Next day panic attack struck again when I was home, my mom was out and was getting me something to eat. But I survived that one too. Then we decided that it was time to seek medical help. I am lucky enough that my godfather is a doctor, so we called him and he came over two hours later.

We spoke about what has happened and he said that everything is fine with me, its just the recent life events that had completely teared my apart. That my nervous system had suffered enough from all the stress and had reached its breaking point and that is what caused the panic attacks. We decided against any kind of pills.

Today is three weeks from my first panic attack. I am feeling better when I know what is wrong with me, but ever since the first panic attack I had this derealization feeling, it feels like nothing is real. My godfather told me that it is completely normal and that one day it will go away as suddenly as it appeared.

Yesterday I had another panick attack while I was on the street but this time I just ignored it. Sat down on a bench, took a sip out of my water bottle and carried on. Guess what, it didnt kill me, it wasnt a heart attack or something else, and I didnt faint. When I got home I was still shaking a little and I called my doctor and he said that it was like echo from the first time. We talked and I was feeling better immediately.

These few weeks I have been cycling and swimming, when I do that I just completely forget about everything and it makes me happy, however I still cant concentrate enough to study then the derealization feeling kicks in.

That is my story so far. I just wanted to share it and I hope that all this really will go away and will not stay with me my whole life.

Re: Had my first panic attack three weeks ago

Welcome to NMP, cycling is my thing too - it's a really big deal with me. If I don't cycle then I don't leave the house. I wish you all the best.

Re: Had my first panic attack three weeks ago

Hi, I just had a mini panic attack this morning when I got back my test results and saw that I have passed, but I dealt with that with no problems and real quick

However I have this problem when I am walking on the street, I have this constant battle inside my head, its like one side is saying "I am feeling too good, I want to have a big panic attack right here on the street and also throw in that fainting sensation as well"
    The other side of my brain is like "Man up!! You are stronger than this shit. Its not deadly and cant hurt you. This will all be over soon just hang in there and wait, enjoy your life, this thing that you are suffering from is from recent shocks you have experienced and your body is recovering from all the stress"

And all this in my head is causing this constant derealization feeling. Nothing seems real, its like I am walking through one of my dreams. My doctor said that it is normal and I need to work out and be out from home as much as I can.

How do you cope with these thoughts about having another panick attack and with this derealization feeling? And will it get better?
    Last edited by Maris; 01-10-14 at 14:25.

Thread Information