Thread: New Job! Advice please!

New Job! Advice please!

Hi,

I started a new job on Monday and surprisingly went in feeling positive and lasted the day with only slight feelings of anxiety. Monday night it all changed when I was uncontrollably crying, panicking and feeling constantly anxious! Tuesday morning I couldn't face going back into work, I rang in sick and spoke to my manager who was 100% supportive and asked if there was anything she could do. We worked it out that I would start working part time to help settle me in, which made me feel better and more positive about going in. It happened again this morning, I was crying and having panic attacks and was determined I couldn't do the job, I rang up my manager again and told her I wanted to quit. Her response was that she didn't want me to quit and to take the day off and get myself together. I ended up going in today and doing some admin tasks for her to help myself and to prove I could go in. I am sat here after going in and having only slight anxiety becoming more and more worried about tomorrow and the rest of the week and the year!! It sounds crazy but I am anxious at night and in the morning before work and then whilst I am there and working I seem to be okay. Has anyone got any advice for this anxiety and panic attacks? I really would appreciate anything that can help me get through this because I don't want to quit this job as much as I keep telling myself I cant do it!

thank you!
    xxx

Re: New Job! Advice please!

God I totally understand. I had similar but instead it was a job interview I was supposed to go to but was literally up all night crying, shaking and feeling sick because I was so panicked by the thought of going to this interview. I called in sick in the morning. Luckily a few weeks later I felt a bit calmer so I had another interview and i got the job. I was terrified for my first day, week and month. I was so anxious I couldn't be in a room with the door closed, I couldn't use the telephone, and being walked round introduced to everyone was torture as I was sure I was going to faint in front of someone and they would all find out my dirty secret - that I suffered from horrific anxiety. But I had decided that I wasn't going to let it control my life, and it was either this or sit at home with no money and no life to speak of. So every time I felt it bubbling up and threatening to take over I just said to myself 'NO.' And forced it out of my mind. Easier said than done of course, but after a while it became a habit and my anxiety actually started to listen!
    The best thing is that you have an understanding boss who you were able to be honest with, but he/she can only allow you space and time up to a point. One method I used to use to deal with the situation of going to work which I was literally dreading was that I would say to myself, 'whats the worst thing that can happen?' And i would literally think out the worst situation that could possibly happen, usually along the lines of me fainting in the middle of work, possibly be sick in front of everyone, have to leave the building in shame in front of everyone, etc etc. Needless to say none of these things ever happened and so it meant that work was a good surprise every day because it was better than the worse scenario I had imagined! Try it, I hope it can work for you too! Other than that I take a tablet called 'Atarax,' its a mild antihistamine meant for kids' allergies and things but it works to calm the body down a bit so it can be great when anxious the night before something, or if you're having trouble sleeping. I always take one the night before an interview.

thank you, this has really helped me! My manager has said she will give me all the time I need and has reduced my hours to part time now which I hope will help! Do you feel better now In your job? I think it is quite daunting having a full time job especially as this is my first proper job!

Thank you again for your response
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by LiziJenks View Post
    Hi,

I started a new job on Monday and surprisingly went in feeling positive and lasted the day with only slight feelings of anxiety. Monday night it all changed when I was uncontrollably crying, panicking and feeling constantly anxious! Tuesday morning I couldn't face going back into work, I rang in sick and spoke to my manager who was 100% supportive and asked if there was anything she could do. We worked it out that I would start working part time to help settle me in, which made me feel better and more positive about going in. It happened again this morning, I was crying and having panic attacks and was determined I couldn't do the job, I rang up my manager again and told her I wanted to quit. Her response was that she didn't want me to quit and to take the day off and get myself together. I ended up going in today and doing some admin tasks for her to help myself and to prove I could go in. I am sat here after going in and having only slight anxiety becoming more and more worried about tomorrow and the rest of the week and the year!! It sounds crazy but I am anxious at night and in the morning before work and then whilst I am there and working I seem to be okay. Has anyone got any advice for this anxiety and panic attacks? I really would appreciate anything that can help me get through this because I don't want to quit this job as much as I keep telling myself I cant do it!

thank you!
    xxx
    Hello

I've been in the exact same situation. I started a new job a while back now and was exactly the same but somehow managed to push through it. Firstly it's completely normal to be anxious about being in a new job. I would be anxious in the morning, ok during the working day and then night I would be crying and not wanting to go into work the next day! I would say if you don't want to quit the job then slowly ease yourself into the job. It sounds like you have a nice manager! You will eventually get comfortable and use to the job.

I went from having constant anxiety about my job but when I got use to it the anxiety slowly went. It's not easy but it does get better. Instead of worrying about how you feel in a week or a year ect just accept the feeling you have at the precise moment. Take things one task at a time and take it slowly. I definitely agree it's daunting going into a full time job so working part time is a good way to get use to a job. Feel free to PM me if you need a chat!

All the best.

I wish manager were that understandable here in the U.S :/

Thread Information