Hi all. I usually post in the anxiety forums so hello to everyone that I have not spoken to on line in this part of the forum.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post it but if not can admin please move for me?

Anyway, I suffer from GAD which is now reasonably under control via medication and CBT - it is not fully under control but better than it has been a few months ago.

I also have a stomach and bladder condition that give me reoccuring UTIs and my consultant has found a stricture in my urethra via a cystoscopy (I was a nervous wreck having this done but got through it as it was under a local not general)

My consultant now says I need an operation under GA to correct this and it will be around 3-6 hours long. My kidneys and bladder are healthy but will deteriorate over the next 5-10 years if I do not have this surgery as I cannot keep taking antibiotics every month or so.

My fear is not being in control and I am petrified of having GA - I had it as a child for tonsils out and was fine but was younger, fitter and healthier. I am now overweight and smoke and worried about my heart and blood pressure under GA due to being on beta blockers and antidepressants as well as aspirin.

I know the doctors, surgeons and anaesthetists are very skilled but I am petrified already and not having it done until the new year at the earliest. It is not even the fear of pain post-op that scares me it is the not being in control during the op and worrying I will wake up and feel things and not be able to let them know.

Anyone else have a fear of GA? I know it sounds silly as I know it is very safe these days and your conditions are taken in to account

Thanks