Thread: General Anaesthetic

Unhappy General Anaesthetic

Hi all. I usually post in the anxiety forums so hello to everyone that I have not spoken to on line in this part of the forum.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post it but if not can admin please move for me?

Anyway, I suffer from GAD which is now reasonably under control via medication and CBT - it is not fully under control but better than it has been a few months ago.

I also have a stomach and bladder condition that give me reoccuring UTIs and my consultant has found a stricture in my urethra via a cystoscopy (I was a nervous wreck having this done but got through it as it was under a local not general)

My consultant now says I need an operation under GA to correct this and it will be around 3-6 hours long. My kidneys and bladder are healthy but will deteriorate over the next 5-10 years if I do not have this surgery as I cannot keep taking antibiotics every month or so.

My fear is not being in control and I am petrified of having GA - I had it as a child for tonsils out and was fine but was younger, fitter and healthier. I am now overweight and smoke and worried about my heart and blood pressure under GA due to being on beta blockers and antidepressants as well as aspirin.

I know the doctors, surgeons and anaesthetists are very skilled but I am petrified already and not having it done until the new year at the earliest. It is not even the fear of pain post-op that scares me it is the not being in control during the op and worrying I will wake up and feel things and not be able to let them know.

Anyone else have a fear of GA? I know it sounds silly as I know it is very safe these days and your conditions are taken in to account

Thanks

Re: General Anaesthetic

hi there just to say if hospital thinl a ga would be hamful the would not give you one my husband has an op to get and they wont put him under ga so there doing the op by local he has a lot of heath problems so think the hospital takes all this into account before they decide on general or local hope this helps x

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

sorry about midding letters some keys are broken

I have had GA about 8 times now and no problems. They do health checks before the op and you are well monitored throughout.

Its a legitimate fear than many non anxiety disorder sufferers have to deal with so you certainly are not alone.

You will have a team of people watching you all the way through it unlike how you have worked hard to get your GAD under control (well done on that!) so you need to let go of the control on this issue. Can you use what you learned in CBT to change how you react to these thoughts and rationalise it out?

I'm exactly the same... But as the other replies said, the doctors will not put you through GA unless they feel you are safe to do so - to put it into context, you're probably in way more danger of injury during your trip to the hospital, than from the GA itself!

Good luck with the op - hope it goes well

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Hi mat74... Suppose this ain't really advise but hopefully make you feel bit better... My mum too was petrified of ga and last wk had to have a minor op so needed it... She was scared stiff and convinced something bad would happen but all went ok and she was fine... She now says she wouldn't be as scared again as it was no where near as bad as she was imagining..
    Hope it helps a little x

Hi, I had GA for a procedure a few months ago, I don't mind telling you I was terrified, they ask you a lot of questions before hand, and then they monitor your heart and BP before the procedure. I panicked as I was being put on the trolley and my BP went high but they managed to stabilise it and calm me down and next thing I knew I was waking up with a nurse holding my hand. I have friends who do not suffer from any kind of anxiety and GA is quite scary to them. It's fear of the unknown really and natural to be a bit worried. I read up about the statistics before I went and that definitely helped to calm me down. There are thousand of op's done daily under GA without any problems.

I'm afraid of being put under and having any kind of surgeries. I had a few surgeries and having to be put under caused anxiety. I also had a c section where they said they could put me under and I refused so they gave me an epidural. I hate being forced to sleep, I'm afraid of not waking up.

Thread Information