Thread: Zero Appetite

Zero Appetite

I can't recall from the last time I was on these meds, but is it normal to have no appetite? I'm on 40mg. Recently started back on them after trying to cold turkey.

When I went cold turkey I lost my appetite, but it was coming back and getting better daily. I went through a stage of all I would eat is jacket potato with cheese, butter and beans. Then when I got my appetite back slowly I'd move onto other foods.

Day 4 back on the Citalopram and my appetite is dead. The thought or the sight of food makes me feel sick. I have to force myself to eat. I'm only eating 1 meal a day at dinner time.

Normal? And how long can I expect this to last?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Zero Appetite

Should return to normal within couple of weeks max. All the extra recycled serotonin in gut will cause nausea and loss of appetite for a while. I wouldn't worry too much unless it doesn't gradually return in a few weeks.

I had zero appetite when I was anxious and started citalopram so much so that I could go the day without eating.

I was reminded though (mostly by Nic/nomprepanic) that eating properly with anxiety is very important and I had to force myself to eat even if I didn't want to

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    I had zero appetite when I was anxious and started citalopram so much so that I could go the day without eating.

I was reminded though (mostly by Nic/nomprepanic) that eating properly with anxiety is very important and I had to force myself to eat even if I didn't want to
    I could easily do the same. It doesn't help that the food we have in the cupboards don't appeal to me. I used to love chocolate, now I hate it. A lot of foods I enjoyed I can't touch.

Feeling sick a lot too, but that's subsiding. It's no where near as bad as it has been. Not sure if that's partly to do with nicotine spray though, because I have noticed that's causing a lot of sick feelings. Although I've stopped using that last night - week 5 no smoking btw. I know, I was daft to try cold turkey on 2 meds, and at the same time give up smoking.

Going to start back on the Jacket Potatoes, or might make a Jamacian Curry. Both of those seem to be very appetising for me at the moment.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KK2613 View Post
    Should return to normal within couple of weeks max. All the extra recycled serotonin in gut will cause nausea and loss of appetite for a while. I wouldn't worry too much unless it doesn't gradually return in a few weeks.
    Fingers crossed

I thought I'd update this post just to let everyone know how I'm doing.

So, I'm still off Lorazepam. I take my Citalopram daily - 40mg. Eveything is going much better. My toilet issues has improved, but rather than pooping a lot, I am not constiptated - so not much of an improvement, but I'd rather be constipated than always needing the toilet. I am doing number 2's though, they are just not as frequent.

My appitite is the total opposite now. Instead of not wanting to eat, I am eating like a horse. But, I still have a problem with not enjoying many of the foods I used to like. I think I'm eating above my recommended daily allowance now.

My mood has stabalised. I'm still bad tempered and argumentative, but it comes in bouts and I believe that's because I stopped smoking a month ago.

Anxiety is still ever present. Not as bad, but never the less still having 1 panic attack at least a day. But, that's better than having 10 - 15.

On the odd occasions I will feel nausea, but that's also maybe once a day - some days I don't feel it. Compare that to the week before last when the nausea was constant all day, every day.

Much improved, and much better

PS. My sleeping pattered is all over the place, but I can live with that. I expect it will pass eventually.

the sleeping patterns will improve with time. Take care

Thread Information