Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow what a difference this has made - Magnesium

Smile Wow what a difference this has made - Magnesium

Hi
    I am no health expert or other therapist.
    I did my own research on self help for my anxiety/panic levels, as have had a recent bout again and do not want to go back onto citalopram.
    So - following a bad food poisoning illness, became anxious about eating/going out etc due to fear of feeling ill or being ill!

Took probiotics to help stomach but also did some reading about the magnesium levels in our bodies and if we are low we can suffer from a range of horrible things including anxiety/depression and panic.

Have been taking magnesium taurate supplement for about 1 week - I am sleeping better and am not waking up in morning with the terrible stomach pit feeling, able to go about my day with a much calmer attitude. No panic and wanting to get on and do things again. Feel so much better.

This can not be coincidence so if this is what I have to spend money on to avoid being on citalopram then so be it.

May not work for all, but for me its been incredible.

Re: Wow what a difference this has made - Magnesium

Yeah magnesium seems to help some people. I think you are correct to take the tuarate version from what I have read. Out of curiosity how many mg's do you take daily?

I noticed a difference taking them about 40 minutes before bed rather than at any other part in the day.

'The cave you fear to enter holds the greatest treasure you seek' - J Campbell

I've been taking magnesium daily at 200mg, but what's the difference with magnesium taurate..I didn't realise there was more than one.

ISB x

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    I've been taking magnesium daily at 200mg, but what's the difference with magnesium taurate..I didn't realise there was more than one.

ISB x
    Magnesium Taurate has the amino acid Taurine in it, which is a stress reducing amino acid. Taurine lowers cortisol (which explains why it also helps reduce weight since cortisol is linked to abdominal bodyfat) and facilitates the production of the neurotransmitter GABA.

"Magnesium is well known to calm the nervous system, while countering fatigue. Similarly, taurine raises GABA levels, calming the nervous system and lowering anxiety and stress hormones that hinder rest."

Here is a useful article about Taurine:

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Article...h_Taurine.aspx

I've taken GABA many years ago when I was lifting weights and it can make your face flush but it does make you feel better, although the doses I took would have been aimed at muscle building as opposed to mental health so may have been higher.

Thank you for the information Terry, very interesting..especially that Taurine can also help with insulin levels, something beta blockers..which I take also..can interfere with and I have put weight on since starting them 5 years ago, much to my despair as this extra weight seems immovable!

From what ive read on your link, it looks as if Taurine can be taken as a supplement in its own right, but I quite like the benefits of magnesium so do I just look out for magnesium with Taurine as an ingredient or does it actually say Magnesium Taurate on the container? Thanks.

ISB x

Hey there how many of them do you take a day and what dode? Thanks

Thank you for the information Terry, very interesting..especially that Taurine can also help with insulin levels, something beta blockers..which I take also..can interfere with and I have put weight on since starting them 5 years ago, much to my despair as this extra weight seems immovable!

From what ive read on your link, it looks as if Taurine can be taken as a supplement in its own right, but I quite like the benefits of magnesium so do I just look out for magnesium with Taurine as an ingredient or does it actually say Magnesium Taurate on the container? Thanks.

ISB x
    It comes as Magnesium Taurate where it is a combination of the two. You can find them in most places, there will just be less brands out there than the more common forms of magnesium such as Citrate. There are other forms of magnesium as well, some of which are more for digestion issues.

Taurine is available on its own as well and its been around in the bodybuilding world for decades so there are plenty brands. For this reason, it may be in various strengths so research what is best for you or try from lowest first if you go this route.

I might give it a try myself as I've been considering magnesium anyway from reading the threads you guys & girls have been adding on the Therapy board.

GABA used to be banned in the UK, but I think its been making a small comeback. It was lumped in with GHB many years ago when all the date rape press was starting so it ended up getting banned. Taurine is a precursor so your body will produce what it needs without the rush from pure GABA (flushing, breathlessness, etc).

GABA is also made from Glutamate or L Glutamine which is the most abundant amino acid in the body. The problem with L Glutamine supplementation though can be that it turns into more than just GABA and its other influence is on the excitory system...hence not always a good thing for us guys. If you life weights though, L Glutamine is one of your staples as it replenishes energy lost and you can't improve performance or grow without it.

GABA influences growth hormone hence why it first came from the bodybuilding world. So, its probably the reason why Taurine is mentioned on that link. Taurine is ranked as Possibly Safe on WebMD I think but it would be worth checking for interactions as it has some. These can be seen on WebMD's website.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 06-10-14 at 05:28.

Thanks again Terry. But now i'm a little nervous to try it as anything that has potential side effects you can bet your life i'll experience them! But I will definately look into it properly before making a decision about taking it and your information has really helped explain it.

ISB x

Bonkers Bob & Igcognito

Where do you buy the magnesium taurate from? An actual shop or on-line eg Amazon. Any particular brand?

Thanks again Terry. But now i'm a little nervous to try it as anything that has potential side effects you can bet your life i'll experience them! But I will definately look into it properly before making a decision about taking it and your information has really helped explain it.

ISB x
    According to WebMD, its only interaction is with Lithium. From a side effect point of view it just advises caution is Bipolar, pregnant or breastfeeding but doesn't have any known wide effects listed.

The thing with Taurine is that its in so many products. They put it in infant milk and its in many energy drinks.

If you are unsure, just try a low dosage and see if anything occurs. I think its unlikely you will feel any side effects though as its a product that is in infant milk and that would be a real risk if they were unsure.

Bodybuilders have been using it for ages and they tend to go to extreme dosages and there has only been one case of side effects and that guy was using steroids at the same time so they don't know what caused it. If it were bad in terms of side effects, these guys would have found it as they do for other products. There have been studies over 4 months on adults & children and they have yielded no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information