Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium helped me

Magnesium helped me

Hi
    Been taking magnesium taurate for about 1 week or so, wow - has helped massively with anxiety/panic and feeling low.
    Has stopped me from needing to go back onto citalopram!

Will continue to use and hopefully this is it in terms of 'self help' and not prescribed meds!

Re: Magnesium helped me

I take magnesium is it the same thing?

There are different forms.

Magnesium Oxide is next to useless.

Magnesium Citrate - is good but can cause some toilet trouble!

Magnesium BiGlycinate and Glycinate are good.(and recommended to mix with Taurine)

Magnesium Taurinate is the above, but I recall the well researched George Eby saying that it stopped working for him.

Apparently - the best Magnesium of all, is Magnesium Oil for absorbability and least side effects.

Magnesium Glycinate 200mg 2 x day
    Taurine 1g
    Vitamin C 1g
    Multivitamin 1 x day
    Omega3 2 x day (achieving 1000mg EPA)

George Eby on Magnesium deficiency causing anxiety and depression: http://george-eby-research.com/html/...n-anxiety.html

Omega 3 information : http://psycheducation.org/treatment/...3-fatty-acids/

Great to hear it Bob.

What type did you buy? What is the mg content for each product in your supplement? I'm interested as I've seen some have very little Taurine in compared to others despite having a similiar price point.

i hope someone reads this. :( i am also looking for a magnesium supplement, but just like everything else.. you dive in to learn more, and things get more confusing.. there is a drink called natural calm.. i think its mixed with calcium or something.. not sure if that is any good.. do you guys have any more info about what exact brand or regime .. does it matter how heavy you are.. do you start off with a certain mg.. etc.

Some useful links for you:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...nal-chill-pill

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/drugs/magnesium

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=115755

http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...or-depression/

I don't really understand why a magnesium supplement would be mixed with calcium because they compete with each other so it reduces the likely uptake of the magnesium.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 08-11-14 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinX View Post
    i hope someone reads this. :( i am also looking for a magnesium supplement, but just like everything else.. you dive in to learn more, and things get more confusing.. there is a drink called natural calm.. i think its mixed with calcium or something.. not sure if that is any good.. do you guys have any more info about what exact brand or regime .. does it matter how heavy you are.. do you start off with a certain mg.. etc.
    George Eby recommended Carlson Chelated Magnesium 200mg. It's inexpensive here : http://www.vitacost.com/carlson-chelated-magnesium (in fact for any UK residents, it's cheaper to buy AND ship it from there, than buying it in the UK!) - this is actually Magnesium Glycinate.

As with anything, start slowish. Maybe 200mg x 2 a day, then go up and see how you feel. I also take a Taurine supplement with it (1g per dose). There are people out there taking 800mg magnesium a day. I think you're ok up to 1200mg a day, but don't quote me on that. Should be no need to go that high.

I'm actually currently taking Holland and Barrett Magnesium Byglicinate (150mg) x 4 a day. I'm a big guy too - 108KG.

I have read merits of on both empty and full stomach and perhaps taking with vitamin C makes it more absorbable.

You are correct, that calcium mixed with magnesium will ultimately cancel each other out.

Magnesium Glycinate 200mg 2 x day
    Taurine 1g
    Vitamin C 1g
    Multivitamin 1 x day
    Omega3 2 x day (achieving 1000mg EPA)

George Eby on Magnesium deficiency causing anxiety and depression: http://george-eby-research.com/html/...n-anxiety.html

Omega 3 information : http://psycheducation.org/treatment/...3-fatty-acids/

I've been taking a standard magnesium supplement for just over a month now, and while it's really helped my anxiety, I suspect it's also responsible for the horrible diarrhoea I've been experiencing recently!

I have Crohn's and IBS, but I don't think it's either of those, because I'm symptomless apart from repeated very loose bowel movements.

I guess I need to try one of the better formats mentioned above.

Hi, all!

Thanks Bob, your experience is very encouraging!

Just started taking magnesium glycinate, 2 x 150, at bedtime. So far, so good. Not sure where I could purchase taurine, but will look at the health food store. So, it is felt that taurine helps with it's absorption then?

Terry, thanks for the heads-up about calcium, I will make sure to leave some hours between them.

White43, thanks for clarifying the types once more. I have a hard time with pills, (nausea, upset stomach), and so I get most of my vitamins through my diet or supplements that are liquids or sublingual, but will try to make sure I have something with C at dinner ...
    Your 1,000 mg epa daily, is this mainly for brain health? My liquid omega has 525 epa/225 dha, if I double that, will I be getting "too much" dha? I normally eat very little processed food, just the occasional gluten-free pasta. (No soy or soy lecithin, not even soy oil in salad dressings.) So I expect I'm not getting too much dha via diet.

Hope the question makes sense, lol!

Thanks!
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    I've been taking a standard magnesium supplement for just over a month now, and while it's really helped my anxiety, I suspect it's also responsible for the horrible diarrhoea I've been experiencing recently!

I have Crohn's and IBS, but I don't think it's either of those, because I'm symptomless apart from repeated very loose bowel movements.

I guess I need to try one of the better formats mentioned above.
    Yes, definately. Loose bowels are a known side effect of too much magnesium. So, if you have a diet high in it due to any changes you have made for your other conditions, you may wish to adjust your dosage.

Another option is a timed release version.

Some cheaper forms, I think white43 mentioned citrate on here or another recent thread, can cause more digestive issues and given your other conditions, you are bound to react more than the norm.

The other variants are a bit more expensive and be careful in choosing one because I have looked at the taurate version and found there is a massive difference in content for the same price between manufacturers. Versions such as taurate and glycinate are geared towards neurotransmitters as well so they are more likely to be helpful to us guys plus they are not likely to interact with medication like 5-htp can.

I think I have also read that some people experience the loose stools as a side effect for a short time to begin with but perhaps white43 can advise to save me researching it for the thread? If this does occur, I wonder whether it is because magnesium plays a role in over 300 function in the human body and it is rebalancing them by overcompensating initially? I know this occurs with probiotic supplementation in cases of Candida overgrowth due to a 'flushing' effect that overwhelms the liver.

Have you looked at probiotics chichpea? A lot of people with IBS have reported they work for them. I've been looking into this a lot myself and I plan to 'grow my own' as its far cheaper and way more potent than anything you can buy.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by white43 View Post

As with anything, start slowish. Maybe 200mg x 2 a day, then go up and see how you feel. I also take a Taurine supplement with it (1g per dose). There are people out there taking 800mg magnesium a day. I think you're ok up to 1200mg a day, but don't quote me on that. Should be no need to go that high.

I'm actually currently taking Holland and Barrett Magnesium Byglicinate (150mg) x 4 a day. I'm a big guy too - 108KG.
    Here is a detailed guidance off WebMD:

The daily Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for elemental magnesium are: Age 1-3 years, 80 mg; 4-8 years, 130 mg; 9-13 years, 240 mg; 14-18 years, 410 mg (boys) and 360 mg (girls); 19-30 years, 400 mg (men) and 310 mg (women); 31 years and older, 420 mg (men) and 320 mg (women). For pregnant women age 14-18 years, the RDA is 400 mg; 19-30 years, 350 mg; 31-50 years, 360 mg. For lactating women age 14-18 years, the RDA is 360 mg; 19-30 years, 310 mg; 31-50 years, 320 mg. For infants less than one year of age, adequate intake (AI) levels are 30 mg from birth to 6 months and 75 mg from 7 to 12 months. The daily upper intake level (UL) for magnesium is 65 mg for children age 1-3 years, 110 mg for 4-8 years, and 350 mg for anyone over 8 years old, including pregnant and breast-feeding women.

Something to also consider is deficiency which is totally different to the above. It is also used in constipation, migraines, etc so again the dosages differ and will be typically higher.

I think something we have to consider is that anxiety makes the body work much harder so we may need more than the RDA's of most things. This gets tricky because its a bit of an unknown though but I think we need to understand a lot more about this.

---------- Post added at 03:15 ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SADnomore View Post

White43, thanks for clarifying the types once more. I have a hard time with pills, (nausea, upset stomach), and so I get most of my vitamins through my diet or supplements that are liquids or sublingual, but will try to make sure I have something with C at dinner ...

Thanks!
    Marie
    Strawberries are very high in C Marie, it you can get them over there at this time a year?

C supplements are usually very cheap if not. It also helps in absorption of iron.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information