Thread: Elevated CA125

Elevated CA125

Hi, so I am still panicking about my raised CA125 on the basis the scan is clear....so wondering what else it could be...anyone had raised an no cyst please? I'm now worried its my bowel.....experiences please......very panicky which is making my pains worse.

Re: Elevated CA125

You had some good replies on your other post about this and you are seeing someone Monday aren't you?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I am seeing my Dr, but still no referral to gynae. Just wondered if anyone experienced the same.....

Found this for you:

What conditions other than ovarian cancer can cause an increased CA 125?

Bear in mind that a number of conditions can also cause elevation of CA 125 levels. They include pregnancy, endometriosis, uterine fibroids ( benign tumours), pancreatitis, normal menstruation, pelvic inflammatory disease and liver disease. Benign tumours or cysts of the ovaries can also cause abnormal test results. Increases of CA 125 can also be seen in cancers other than ovarian cancer, including malignancies of the uterine tubes, endometrium, lung, breast, pancreas and the gastrointestinal tract.
    Is CA 125 testing useful as a cancer screening test?

Although CA 125 is a useful test in monitoring women who are being treated for ovarian cancer, a single CA 125 test is not considered to be a useful screening test for cancer. For example, only about half of women with ovarian cancer have raised levels of CA 125. So if the test is used alone, some women with ovarian cancer may be missed. This is known by doctors as a 'false negative' result.
    Also, most women who do have elevated CA 125 levels do not have cancer. In fact, because CA 125 can be elevated in so many non-cancerous conditions, only about a small percentage of women with elevated CA 125 levels have ovarian cancer.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Worrychick View Post
    I am seeing my Dr, but still no referral to gynae. Just wondered if anyone experienced the same.....
    I'm guessing that since your ultrasound showed no problems with your ovaries, gynae isn't urgent.
    Has your period showed up yet? Maybe that's a factor in your results. Or maybe you have IBD and that is causing all your problems.

My period was in fact the day I hady blood test albeit very unusually 3 weeks late x x my mum died at my age if breast cancer and this is why u am so worried that and my bowel issues x x sorry to harp on x

Quote Originally Posted by Worrychick View Post
    My period was in fact the day I hady blood test albeit very unusually 3 weeks late x x my mum died at my age if breast cancer and this is why u am so worried that and my bowel issues x x sorry to harp on x
    You're not harping on - anyone would be anxious with an abnormal blood test.
    I did read that your period can affect the blood tests - they don't like to test immediately before or during your period for that reason. When you see your GP on Monday, maybe ask if they will repeat the test - at least that might reassure you while you wait for the other referrals.

I really feel for you - I'm stressed just waiting for my results.xx

Thread Information