Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overcoming fear of flying

Overcoming fear of flying

In the past I have had panic attacks during flights and just about crushed my husbands hand because I have been so nervous.
    Today I flew to Croatia. It did not get off to a good start as we were at the gate waiting to board the plane and they asked us to go back to the departure lounge. We were told there was a technical problem with the plane. I immediately thought "I am never going to get on that plane then!" I started to panic and cry. The air stewardess took me to a side and tried to reassure me telling me how safe it is and they wouldn't let it fly if it wasn't fixed.
    We boarded just over an hour after the plane should have taken off. I had calmed down a bit by then. I sat by the window which I don't usually do as I am too scared to look out. I took some photos after we got up in the air. The worst part for me is landing and I usually get a bit tearful and crush my husbands hand but this time I didn't. I remembered my good NMP friend Tessar had taken videos when landing even though she too is a nervous flyer so I thought "Well if Tessar can do it so can I! and I did. I have to admit that I still grabbed my husbands hand just after the wheels hit the ground but I was really pleased with myself for not getting in the state I usually do To feel the fear and do it anyway really does work. We don't know what we can achieve unless we try. This is my second flight this year and 2 last year and the more I do the easier it gets. My initial reaction this morning when there was a problem with the plane was just to go back home but I didn't want to waste my money so I just felt that fear and did it! I am pleased I did

Re: Overcoming fear of flying

Ah that's so great! I will remember this post next time I'm feeling too scared to do something. Enjoy your holiday!!

So happy for you! That's wonderful! I'm also terrified of flying, and I haven't been on a plane since 2004! I have to go on a plane in a few months, I'll definitely think about this Thanks for sharing.

That's really awesome, Annie. I would have been worried if they sent me off the plane too. I am glad you were able to get back on and face your fears. That's real courage!

well done Annie

Thank you everyone, I wouldn't have got to where I am today without the support from NMP friends. Yes when there is something you have to/want to do...just do it!

Hey Annie this is such good reading!!!!!!
    I am so impressed. You really have come such a long way. When I first joined NMP, you weren't able to go out without a real struggle. Now look at you. It's amazing, it really is.
    It seems funny to think that something I have done has helped you. I suppose the whole self-esteem thing makes me sometimes think I am not important enough to influence people, but this is what I like so much about NMP. We can all help each other, inspire each other.
    You are definitely an inspiration and I have got a big cheesy grin on my face.
    :-)

Nice to hear, Annie

Thank you Tessar and Peter How are you doing Peter...is the job going okay for you?

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Today I went in a cable car!

Amazing!!!!!!!! Especially when u consider that people who don't get anxious generally would never get in a cable car!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information