Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel like something isn't right??

Re: Feel like something isn't right??

I think thats just GAD really, you end up worrying about everything & nothing. Even when you are not worrying you are still anxious because your subconscious just keeps pushing out the symptoms. Thats why I think CBT is lacklustre if it doesn't also look at behavioural elements to alter your perception of symptoms.

Have you been on Citalopram long? It took me about 3 months to get a better sleep routine back in but that was mostly due to taking Zopiclone for 30 days straight because my GP didn't tell me to cycle it every other day! Something the crisis team told me in their follow up visit. So, I had problems withdrawing from it.

Have you considered magnesium? There are members on here discussing how it has been useful to them on the Natural Remedies board and there is a magnesium taurate one on the GAD board.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk...-and-dreaming/ Wow such an insightful article

---------- Post added at 07:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

This time I've been on citalopram for about 3 months but I tapered up from 10-20 and now on 40. Magnesium? Is that like a supplement? I'll have to look into that, yes cby isn't great because it's trying to get me to label my thoughts.... That's hard when I don't know why I'm worried :-)

Thats part of the problem with GAD, it can be about pretty much everything but also nothing. CBT is great for things that are specific, but I believe something more complex or general is always going to need a longer period of therapy which CBT doesn't allow for. Then you get thrown back into the system with a minimum 12 month wait to get to Level 4 therapies even if your GP is willing to refer you, unlike mine who doesn't want to hence I haven't been back in over a year and he just signs the repeat presciptions!

Magenesium is just a supplement but members on here say it helps them sleep better and feel more refreshed. I think I might try this myself.

May PPP to Holland and Bharat in a min and have a look! Even now I'm quiet at work and I'm just sitting here, feeling a little nervous and like I need to escape.... No idea why!!!

You are just unable to 'tune' it out. Anxiety symptoms come from the subconscious so its just still sending them to your conscious mind regardless of situation. You have to gradually retrain it not to send them. Learning to relax and focus is part of it.

Would you say it's better to just let the thoughts be there, without thinking about them? See that's my problem, I feel anxious then I try and think about the thoughts and find a way to counter them. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that?

I think it depends what the thoughts are.

If the thought was an intrusive one such as a thought or harming someone, as in OCD, then you can rationalise it to downplay it. Thats a CBT strategy. It may work, or it may not for some people and some may find acceptance works better for them. For me, Mindfulness worked more than the rest.

If the thought is just about physical symptoms, then you can employ positive affirmations to say to yourself that they are just symptoms and nothing more. The problem tends to be more when you try to analyse them "why am I feeling like this" or "how do I stop feeling like this". These types of thoughts engage the brains DOING mode which looks at 2 points, now and where you want to be. It then spends its time risk assessing (possible bringing new risks into play that you hadn't even worried about) and determines how to reach that point. Unfortunately, solving such a large problem is out of scope of DOING modes ability which means you just get more frustrated and have more to think about from its analysis. For this type of issue you need to encourage BEING mode, which is our accepting mode where we don't analsye but just go with it. This is hard though and its a skill best learnt through Mindfulness. Acceptance is very hard, but its only an element of Mindfulness hence there are other elements to help you along the way.

I do find mindfulness good, only done two sessions though so I'm working on it, most of them are my general what if thoughts. They are frustrating because really I have nothing I need to worry about, I have a good life. I am hoping that the mindfulness does help, as I just want to be able to get on with my day without the feeling of anxiety and that something is wrong in my life because I know it's not

You said you enjoyed it the first time and thats a really good sign because many people find it hard to do. It takes time and you've only just started out, so expect to be continuing for the long term as its seen as a life skill but that doesn't mean it will take forever to learn & feel. At a minimum it can be a good relaxation technique when you start but the more you do it, the more it helps. It has been shown via imaging that it is accessing the left side of the brain which is the compassion centre.

I remember it took me a while but I had a shift in attitude. Long before this I had a couple of moments of absolute bliss where I just sat down on an embankment along a stream when I was out walking in the sun and just starting doing mindfulness without thinking about starting it. I was listening to the birds, feeling the grass and watching things, really watching, listening & feeling. It was truly amazing!!! I felt completely free.

I found it relaxed me after the session! That sounds like such a good moment you had terry! I would love that! I'm not feeling as bad today! That's for sure! I think the only time I feel worried is when I remember I'm Ill, then I remember all the reasons I'm ill, then I start to feel guilty and worry! That's frustrating! Other than that I'm generally ok. Did some research on magnesium, the proper stuff seems quite expensive! Wondering if there is a cheaper option.

Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information