Thread: Feeing wired/jitters on 225mg

Feeing wired/jitters on 225mg

Hi all,

I've been taking Venefaxiene for a good while now and in general it has worked well for me.

About 6-ish months ago I had my dose increased from 150mg to 225mg as I still had some issues with anxiety.

In the meantime I've been exercising and dieting and with the help of those (as well as Venefaxiene too) I've lost almost 25kg/3st 13lbs. so far. However, I've noticed recently that I'm starting to feel "wired" at times, as if I've had a load of caffeine, which has kind of brought back my anxiety a bit. Last Sunday I also woke up feeling dizzy and quite lethargic/drowsy (I normally have a few drinks on a Saturday night).

Does it sound as though I may need my dose reduced?

Thanks in advance!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Feeing wired/jitters on 225mg

I don't think you should reduce dose if it's helping. Jitters are common because it's a very activating med and I sometimes get them too, especially if I've been physically active. Think it's the extra adrenaline. Do you get palps too?

I don't drink on this med so can't really comment on alcohol but don't think it's such a good idea personally.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

BTW, well done for losing weight

Yes, big congratulations on the weight loss! I take Effexor, too ... so, well, no more excuses for me, lol! ... In fact, since it is meant to be helping against depression symptoms of carb cravings etc., I really am hoping that along with proper diet and a bit of exercise I will lose instead of gain this winter!!

I don't drink anyway, but it is well-known to play hell with anxiety and depression. People come on here all the time just hanging by their fingernails because they've drank the night before. Sometimes the worsened anxiety hangs on for several days, they are reporting. All the instructions and bottles say not to drink while taking this med. I would give it a couple of weeks with no alcohol and see if that helps. If it's a social thing on Saturday nights, you can have a mocktail or sodas instead!

It's a small sacrifice to pay for improved mental health and functioning, I think. I am at 187.5 mg for a month but will be bumping up to 225 next. It's kind of a trade-off, the occasional jitters, isn't it? Others have said they use that "energy" in positive ways, so I am trying to be grateful for it. Anyway it sure beats the abject depression and spiraling worry I usually get this time of year! The jitters aren't as bad actually as they were at first during start-up, and now they seem to pass fairly quickly. Sounds simplistic, I know, but I take several long, slow deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth and that helps. And chewing gum, lol!

Thanks for the comments guys!

I don't have much to drink, especially compared to what I drank in the past but I'll try a weekend without and see if it helps.

Coincidently, I was thinking of asking to drop the dose down to 187.5 like what you are taking SADnomore, as I want to stick with it rather than having another go on the medication carousel.

Yes, do two weeks with no alcohol and see if the jitters ease off. I have been increasing my dose very slowly by 37.5 at a time and so if I do need to try a decrease, it won't be a big drop. If after two weeks you still want to try 187.5, you will likely need a bottle of the 37.5 capsules. I take two 75 mg and one 37.5 every morning. You can always easily go back up to 225 if needed.

I do have to say however that I have noticed periodic jitters and mild knots-in-the-stomach randomly from time to time on all the doses. Not for the whole of a day, but just for a few minutes. I don't like the feeling at all, but when I do a few slow deep breaths and pop some gum in my mouth it pushes off quickly.

By all means, stick with the Effexor! I have rode the carousel before as well and not found anything that helps as much. Many are so numbing or make me feel not "normal" or like myself, but the Effexor hasn't done that! Love that. I will need to be on ad's long-term, so I am very glad to have found the right one at last. ... I had been worried about re-experiencing side effects and more jitters each time I went up in dose, but that hasn't happened. But I was going to ask my doctor about propranolol if it did, as it is supposed to help with that, and palps and all.

Thread Information