Thread: Yet more acute travel anxiety

Yet more acute travel anxiety

Hello friends of NMP,

I've not posted in a while on here because, since changing jobs in June, my day-to-day general anxiety has lessened. Perhaps it is the fact that I'm working part time hours in the evening that has helped as I'm not having to get up on ever-darker mornings but I'm glad of the move I've made for the sake of my general well-being.

Sadly, anxiety has struck back this week - mildly yesterday, stronger this afternoon. The usual symptoms are there and, just as in previous times, my globus is the worst, making it seem difficult for me to swallow. I'm also feeling full of mucus.

Yet there are things which are confusing me. I'm bewildered as Claire Weekes might say. For a start, the trigger is clear: I'm going to Prague on Thursday and often find travelling a stressful experience to the extent that it will spoil the first day or so of the trip

This, though, will be my fourth trip to Prague - I really love the place deep down and I'm very familiar with it. I'm also going with three friends who I know really well.

So why on earth am I so wound up about it?
    And what's the best way of dealing with 'acute' anxiety?

Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Yet more acute travel anxiety

Aww Peter this happens every time you go away and it is the same for me. I am in Dubrovnik now as you know but this time last week I didn't want to come here. I really don't know why we can't get it into our heads that it will all be fine. You know you will have a good time when you get there. I am having a great time
    Think rational, you have been before, you had a good time and you will again. Every time a negative thought comes, replace it with a positive one. See yourself having fun, laughing with your friends, enjoying every minute of it

Oh I know, Annie.

It's probably why I am so frustrated... I noticed you had got to Croatia for some autumnal sunshine - well done and enjoy!

This evening has gone quite well, work proved ample distraction and my globus has settled down so that my throat muscles now just feel a little tender from the earlier stressing.

My main worry is the travelling, I think, especially the flight. I've still got some diazepam (in-date) but I even worry about having to take that because I know it can be a dangerous drug...

The travelling is my main worry too. I always have diazepam with me just in case but didn't take any this time. Knowing I have it with me is some comfort though. It isn't dangerous taken in short term and low dose. Take some relaxing music and a good book with you.

hi ive just come back from Rome after refusing to go to Canada in June at the airport because i was so anxious! i was really worried about the same thing happening again. i always worry i might be ill or die abroad! on the morning of flight, saturday, i was really anxious amd wanted to cancel but i knew my dad would kill me. i was shaking at the airport and made it on plane. im glad i went but i was anxious the whole time and could barely eat. i had some valium and it took the edge off. im sure you will be fine if i can do it anyone can! i had cbt for a short while and what really helped me is thinking if i dont go what else am i gonna be doing? sitting at home bored probably. and if i am ill over there there are people to help.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

i think the hard part is having the lack of routine u get with working. i kept saying i am never going on holiday again because it stresses me out too much

Thanks for the replies folks - and well done shopmad for making the trip .

Last night went really well actually. Work distracted and settled me down and I wrote about football on my blog before turning to bed. Today started ok too, and I easily managed some food earlier - but this afternoon post-lunch has been tougher. A few What Ifs have started to bother me again and I've started to get tight in the stomach and the throat (globus) again. I've coughed a couple of times and can feel the acid.

At the same time, I've still managed to be productive and exchanged my money. I had a lovely chat about my previous trips in Prague with the Bureau de Change fella at M&S so, deep down, I'm pretty intent on going. I've got some decent reading material and a £25 iTunes voucher off my birthday which I will use on their store this evening.

So I feel I'm doing all the right things and I'm try to convince myself that feeling like this is nothing unusual for me and yet I've always been fine when I actually allow myself to relax. I've got one last shift at work tonight before a week and a half off. I hope it distracts me enough that I'll feel good about packing and organising trip things tonight as I head off early tomorrow.

I'll give an update later tonight, I expect

PS. Just managed a decent-sized slice of carrot cake which I had left off my lunch. Feeling a bit calmer having put something down in writing. Globus is the freakiest thing ever!

you mentioned you had some valium how out of date r they? go and c ur dr about getting some more i only had a low dose but i think it helped

I am sure you are going to have a great time. The journey isn't that long really and you will soon be relaxing on a well earned holiday

Okay, rather late update as I've been busy preparing my camera and packing my bag. All done without much anxiety at all.

Oddly, though, I'm feeling a bit emotional and wound up now. Probably just need to get some shut-eye, to be honest

Have a great time. You have some diazepam if you need it but hopefully you won't.

Thread Information