Thread: Can anxiety be causing my left arm and shoulder to ache

Can anxiety be causing my left arm and shoulder to ache

Is this anxiety causing ache in left arm and shoulder or am I going to die from a heart attack ?

Re: Can anxiety be causing my left arm and shoulder to ache

In a word...Yes!
    Chances are, you're hunching, tensing up, not letting yourself relax.
    Try consciously letting yourself go floppy, drop your shoulders (I bet they're up round your ears!)and relax. It will take a while for the pain to go, but believe it will.

Hi chickpea
    Yes your right I don't relax , but why is it just left shoulder and arm , if it was tension wouldn't it be in both shoulders ?

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Hi chickpea
    I do tense and don't relax
    But wouldn't it be in both shoulders and arms rather than just on the left which makes me worry it is my heart x

Mine's just my right arm and shoulder.
    I guess it's because very few of us are symmetrical, and maybe it depends on which is our dominant hand? I'm left handed, but all my problems (hip, shoulder, neck) are on my right side.

I promise you, it's not your heart.

Thanks chickpea
    I need to stop thinking and worrying about my heart , I convince myself as everything I read mentions it .
    My neck feels quite tense and stiff to bottom of my heAd and I'm also getting headaches is this tension causing this also ?

Yes. Neck and shoulder problems cause headaches and sinus pain, which can in turn affect vision.
    Last year, I had a headache and face pain that lasted over 2 months. It got so bad, I was sent to the optician for an eye health check in case it was brain pressure on my optic nerve. It wasn't. Nor was it even a sinus infection.
    What it was was a shoulder and neck problem, which meant that my sinuses weren't able to drain properly and the pressure was causing the pain. I saw an osteopath, who released the tension in my spine and shoulder - so well that the release of all the toxins that had built up make me actually vomit after the first session.
    After 4 sessions, the problems had completely gone. I know I need to see her again soon, because my shoulder is starting to ache again.

Hope that reassures you.x

Yes you have been great so thank you . I only mentioned earlier that I want a massage
    I may book one tomorrow sure It will help. Yes I'm right handed every ache and pain on left side.
    The ache feels like a squeezing tight sensation in my arm and back and like I'm being strangled round my neck.

Thread Information