Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Steve McDonald' in Corrie covering Depression!

'Steve McDonald' in Corrie covering Depression!

It's about time Depression was covered on TV. Albeit a Soap, but it will be interesting where they go with this. It will hopefully make people aware how difficult it can be to live with and function normal daily tasks.

Re: 'Steve McDonald' in Corrie covering Depression!

But he doesn't come across as not coping with life though so I was surprised to see he was diagnosed with it

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Things have been getting him down for year and he doesn't really seem much different and is still doing everything. I wonder how it will unfold because so far he doesn't seem to be more than a low mood. No doubt he will be treated within the next few days by the NHS and recover and it will never be mentioned again.

Think about Eastenders portayal of bipolar which sees Jean walking across railway lines and being paranoid in her house by plastering her windows with papers to keep people out (is this even bipolar? Seems more schizophrenia to me!) and the later portayal of Stacy's bipolar which was portrayed as some low moods but mostly about sexual storylines...obviously to jazz things up!

Addiction is one they are always laughable for.

I agree Nicola and MynameisTerry.
    Maybe they should have chosen Carla; with a Husband that tried to kill her, then another bad relationship after that and nearly losing her business, her Brother stealing from her then Peter having an affair and being an Alcoholic and losing her baby. But, amazingly she just seems to carry on regardless and cheers herself up with a new designer bag and a glass of red wine.
    I have no doubt that we will all be criticising how Depression is portrayed is this Story.

I noticed too how Sharon in Eastenders recovered almost overnight from PTSD when she was attacked in her club. Dr Who mentioned panic attacks last night, but its like these conditions are being paid lip service rather than being fully addressed.

Yeah Carnation, Carla would have made a better candidate or Nick. Sadly, they turned Carla into an alcoholic...which seems to have been forgotton as she now drinks whatever & whenever she wants without the associated problems. Peter's portrayal of alcoholism seems more accurate.

Phil Mitchell is another prime example. He has a week on the sauce and then he's all back to normal. To be honest, I think his character is better when he is drunk anyway so they should keep him like that! How Peggy got him clean from the drugs was just laughable and lets face it, dangerous.

It will be interesting how they portray this. No doubt it will be garbage and yet it will be endorsed by the likes of Beverley Callard, a former depression sufferer & someone who could afford all the treatments that we can only dream of, in order to support her peers & employers!

On a lighter note, how the hell will we know with Steve anyway? He's always moaning his head off! Truly an example of a man with everything in life yet still not happy, he's got a pub, beautiful women despite him being more on Kirk's level, etc!

If anyone deserves depression, its Les Dennis' character...we all know he's on the dead pool list now he's hooked up with the black widow of the street!

I thought the scene at the doctors was quite realistic,Steve is in denial I was like that for quite a while then finally seeked help

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    anyone deserves depression, its Les Dennis' character...we all know he's on the dead pool list now he's hooked up with the black widow of the street!
    Aye, look at the lengths she drove Richard Hillman to

Quote Originally Posted by Blagger Boy View Post
    Aye, look at the lengths she drove Richard Hillman to
    To be honest, I was routing for him

Think Steve is going through a mid-life crisis as opposed to Depression!!!????

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information