Thread: Chest pain, arm pain, jaw pain - anxiety?

Chest pain, arm pain, jaw pain - anxiety?

I'm at my wit's end here and I really need to talk to others about my current problems because I just feel like I'm going completely crazy.

Three weeks ago, my vision blurred, I became confused, shaky, chest pains, pins and needles and then blacked out and woke up on a drip in hospital. For three days I had constant panic attacks with no let up, I even had them in my sleep and woke up confused not knowing who I was. I've had X-rays, blood tests, ECG etc - all came back normal. I spent 4 solid days recovering from my horrid 3-day episode. The recovery was almost as bad and when I went to the doctor he gave me propranolol for the constant stabbing pain in my chest.

I can't say that I wasn't impressed by this drug. I was calm and my vision was less blurry in a matter of hours. I couldn't believe how much it helped. I had a horrific nightmare that night but finally I could see straight and the attacks stopped for the first time in 7 days.

I've now been on them for 2.5 weeks and I am now getting constant chest neck jaw and arm pain. Today I had the pain relentlessly for 5 hours without a break. I am finding it hard to believe that this is psychological because I was completely calm. I haven't had a panic attack since starting the propranolol and yet the pains are worse. Not only that but I'm now having terrible nightmares every night and I can only sleep on my left side. If I sleep on my back or my right side, the chest pains are unbearable.

The chest pains are short, stabbing, sharp and normally on the left although sometimes they're everywhere across the chest.

Please tell me someone else has been through this - do you ever get the physical symptoms with no panic or anxiety or thoughts? I was just getting on with my work and I ignored the pain for 5 hours and it never stopped once. Why is this happening? Why can I only sleep on one side? What is the pain in my arm and jaw? It's a dragging, aching, deep pain whereas my chest is stabby and sharp.

New to the forum - just need to hear someone tell me that I'm not dying. I mean, what if I am and I'm taking this propranolol and ignoring a serious heart problem? Why would anxiety be linked to what side I sleep on?

:-( three weeks of constant pain has just tipped me over the edge. :-(

Re: Chest pain, arm pain, jaw pain - anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabularasa View Post
    I'm at my wit's end here and I really need to talk to others about my current problems because I just feel like I'm going completely crazy.

Three weeks ago, my vision blurred, I became confused, shaky, chest pains, pins and needles and then blacked out and woke up on a drip in hospital. For three days I had constant panic attacks with no let up, I even had them in my sleep and woke up confused not knowing who I was. I've had X-rays, blood tests, ECG etc - all came back normal. I spent 4 solid days recovering from my horrid 3-day episode. The recovery was almost as bad and when I went to the doctor he gave me propranolol for the constant stabbing pain in my chest.

I can't say that I wasn't impressed by this drug. I was calm and my vision was less blurry in a matter of hours. I couldn't believe how much it helped. I had a horrific nightmare that night but finally I could see straight and the attacks stopped for the first time in 7 days.

I've now been on them for 2.5 weeks and I am now getting constant chest neck jaw and arm pain. Today I had the pain relentlessly for 5 hours without a break. I am finding it hard to believe that this is psychological because I was completely calm. I haven't had a panic attack since starting the propranolol and yet the pains are worse. Not only that but I'm now having terrible nightmares every night and I can only sleep on my left side. If I sleep on my back or my right side, the chest pains are unbearable.

The chest pains are short, stabbing, sharp and normally on the left although sometimes they're everywhere across the chest.

Please tell me someone else has been through this - do you ever get the physical symptoms with no panic or anxiety or thoughts? I was just getting on with my work and I ignored the pain for 5 hours and it never stopped once. Why is this happening? Why can I only sleep on one side? What is the pain in my arm and jaw? It's a dragging, aching, deep pain whereas my chest is stabby and sharp.

New to the forum - just need to hear someone tell me that I'm not dying. I mean, what if I am and I'm taking this propranolol and ignoring a serious heart problem? Why would anxiety be linked to what side I sleep on?

:-( three weeks of constant pain has just tipped me over the edge. :-(
    I've been getting this. Sharp pain in chest but ache in arm and jaw. Still trying to figure it out myself, but you're not alone.

With anxiety, I think you can read or hear about something then have it happen to you, making you think you're ill when you're not.

You may not feel stressed but our brains work on may levels so while we many not feel stresed we can be.

Hi There,
    I have also been having chest pains on the left side that seem to come and go, its a stabbing pain for a split second and then goes away. I think that you should ask for a ct scan of your chest just to be sure that there isnt anything there. ECG is good for monitoring your heart waves but sometimes there could be an underlying issue that a ct can pick up.You can also do bloodwork to test for a blood clot in your lungs or anywhere in your body.
    I dont think you have this but it will put your mind 100% at ease that there is nothing wrong and that sometimes anxiety/stress/panic can mimic conditions such as a heart attack.
    I hope that you feel better. I am going through the same thing as well.

Thread Information